Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl bioload

mthom211

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am buying my crystal red shrimp a chiller and I cannot afford a second chiller for when I get axies. I could include the axies in my CRS system because the chiller I am getting is rated for up to 400L. I'm worried that their bioload will be to much for the CRS though, they need very low nitrates >5ppm and dislike water changes unless you are very careful. My tanks will be very heavily planted so if they don't produce to much waste that will be taken up by the plants. I know axies dislike light so there tank will have no plants. Ok, enough rambling, I mainly want to know how much waste they produce over a period of a couple of months or so. I know that is a very open ended question but are there any guidlines?

I just thought I would add this in, I don't have a need to do water changes more than everyfew months even in my tanks with high bioloads becasue I have a high enough plant density to handle their waste, I'm not an irresponsible owner.

Matt

MereB

Reaction score
Don't do it!
Axies are messy enough for frequent water changes to be required even in a moderately planted tank there is just no way you can satisfy the needs of both within the same system. Even if the nitrate buildup wasn't the problem the axies waste make an absolute mess of the tank. Poop dust and the like everywhere which necessitates regular partial water changes as you clean out all the gunk.

Hubby keeps CRS & CBS and there is just no way they could run on the same system as my axies and both species here have seriously well planted tanks the touchy nature of CRS simply makes it impossible.
All that said I do have some Cherry Shrimp happily living and breeding IN the axie tank but they are far easier to care for than the Crystal reds.

Start saving for a 2nd chiller and maybe put off getting axies until you can afford it if you can.

carsona246

Reaction score
also your axolotl might eat all the shrimp. Mine ate the 100+ cherry shrimp I threw in my tank over a month long period

mthom211

Reaction score
Thanks Meredyth! That's exactly what I wanted to know! Axies are definatly on the back burner then, at least until Summer is over, wouldn't want anything living in discomfort. I don't think I'll be able to get a chiller for axies for while, being a student I don't earn much. Anyway, if I can afford a second chiller it will be for a new marine tank :) I didn't think the two would be compatable, just wanted to confirm that.

You've made my day Carson! Never in my wildest dreams would I put my CRS with a 'lotl. That would certainly be an expansive meal.

Sorry Sarah and Jacq! No axies for me until at least Autumn.

MereB

Reaction score
Not a problem at all Matt. It's a shame it wont work and you'll have to wait a while :( I hear you on the $'s though. Chillers are SO expensive.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1