Question: What would cause a sudden increase in activity?

iplaythebassoon

Reaction score
Country
United States
Over the past two days I've noticed one of my guys swimming a lot. Not struggling to get to the bottom (I've dealt with that before) its just like hes pacing. He kind of has that reddish color that they get when they're fighting a night crawler. All I can think of is that a cool front came in and its much cooler than it was two days ago. He doesnt seem stressed, just active. I'll be feeding both of my axies in a few hours so ill see if hes gonna eat or not tonight. I should also mention that my other axie in the same tank is fine and just loafing around like normal. when is mating season?

they do that when they are in the mood. are they female or male?

I'd check water parameters just to be sure.

I think both of my axies are male, I need to get a new test kit from the pet store. I'll test as soon as I can. Thanks for the replies :)

How much did the temp change, aren't they more active in cool water (someone correct me if this statement is wrong), plus someone mentioned increased activity as maybe being him/her looking for a mate.

I thought they were more calm and slower when in colder water?

They tend to be alot more active when they are in the mood, the water temp is warm and when the water parameters are a bit off.........

I thought my pair were both male too... until I woke up to a tank full of eggs :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back