My axi has fungus, how does it get it ?

axolotl141

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
michael
my axi has been getting fungus over and over again how does it keep getting it??

being kept in poor conditions. Water quality and temperature are the biggest contributers to fungus. Make sure your tank is cycled, or keep doing water changes. Live plants will help. And keep it cool! Get a thermomiter and if it goes past 20C, drop the tempurature somehow.

Poor water conditions. Ive seen you say several times on other threads that you don't do weekly water changes. That would be a big contributing factor.

i gave it a change about a week ago and im going to give it one tomorrow ,i do have a thermomiter and its about 16 and with the live plants they keep dieing and the little guy (but its a girl) has a fetish of digging.

i gave it a change about a week ago and im going to give it one tomorrow ,i do have a thermomiter and its about 16 and with the live plants they keep dieing and the little guy (but its a girl) has a fetish of digging.

Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH? If so, what were the results?

You need to be doing DAILY partial water changes. These water changes will help dilute the ammonia to acceptable levels for the axolotl that has to live in this water.

The water quality is the most important thing to an axolotl's health and well being. Having good water quality will ensure your axolotl lives a long and happy life. Poor water quality will make the axolotl quite sick, and will very likely kill him.

Remove the dead plants as this rotting matter will be contributing to the ammonia levels. If dying, the plants are doing more harm than good, and should also be removed. If you can't keep the plants healthy, take them out of the tank.

If the axolotl is still being kept on the gravel shown in your avatar, I would strongly recommend you remove it. Axolotls are opportunistic feeders and will snuffle through the substrate at all hours looking for food. Gravel of that size can (and will!) easily be ingested by mistake, and this can kill the axolotl.

Trapped muck under the substrate will also wreak havoc with the water quality if not removed promptly.

well for ammonia and all that i dont have any testing kits accept for the PH test i have one and have been checkig it daily well not daily but often and it is green in other words neutral,i have removed the dead plants and i always get one or two people asking me this that was my first axolotl "happy" because they always have big smiles and i got warned about the gravel on this website and removed it and now i have sand and i will go down town as soon as i can and see if i can get a water test done at the local pet store.

Your pH is very good if it's at neutral.

That's wonderful news regarding the gravel.

The most important tests are for ammonia and nitrite, as these are highly toxic. The nitrate would be handy to know as well, but is not essential. If you can get back to us with the results on these, that would be great.

Does the axolotl have fungus at present? If so, you will need to treat the fungus with salt baths. Please ensure you read through the tutorial (linked below) very carefully before commencing the salt baths.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...axolotl/72698-salt-bath-picture-tutorial.html

Last edited:
Just have a bucket full of neutralised pre-treated water and have an empty bottle somewhere near by.
then you can just scoop a bottle full of water out of her tank, and then add a bottle of the water from the bucket to her tank.
This should prevent future fungus and water parameters going out of check....
Good luck!

I'm experiencing fungus and my axi has been responcless for over 6 hours and there are very destictive veins around his body and his gills have disappeared and I'm really sad that he's dead but me and my familly are preparing a tea bath for him but if he does survive we've ordered Indian almond leaves for Monday. Everyone please hope the best for me. So pretty much the same thing everyone else got an account for this website.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back