Less stressful water changes?

pent565

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've just done a water change for the larvae I had in a container, and it seemed very stressful. I had to move them from container A to container B, because the bottom of container A was covered in deceased baby brine shrimp. I tried to use a spoon to get them out, and it was very stressful to everyone involved, myself very much included. I was terrified of damaging their little tiny bodies with the spoon, or the finger I was using to herd them. I also feel they used up good growing energy on wiggling about pointlessly.

i always feel wierd when they wiggle too! I dont think there is any way to avoid that while doing 100% water changes unfortunatley, you could suck out the brine shrimp blobs with a turkey baster and do a 75% water change with the babies still in the water maybe? But you would have to take them out once in a while to rinse the containers.

Get skilled with the turkey baster, and use that to gently suck them up and move them to a different tank. I used to do that by the hundreds!

I bought a shrimp net from pets unlimited, works great but they still get a little excited when I move them. They sure are growing though!

The turkey baster won't hurt them? I was worried about damaging them on the hole.

The one I have has a rather large opening. Just go really slow, and do it head-first, not tail-first. Don't just release the bulb and suck them up. That can have a disastrous outcome.

yes, baste them gentley! Also before you nkow it they will be too big for it and you will have to use something else. But it is great for small larvae

I use a spoon to move my babies around. The thought of sucking them up in the turkey baster used to scare the **** out of me. I have gone from a teaspoon to a desert spoon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back