Question: How long do u need to do daily water changes?

phee

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey just wondering how long u need to do daily water changes for young axles

Until they're in a cycled aquarium.

Really, it depends on how big the containers are. If you have 3 in a sandwich container, you'll have to do water changes daily. If you have one in a rubbermaid tub, you can get away with only doing small water changes. But as long as you have them in something other than a fully cycled setup, you'll have to do more frequent water changes.

I have them in a tank with a airstone filter set up their is 25 of them

It depends on how old your larvae are I would keep them in lunch containers or plastic tubs of larger size until after they have there back legs. they need 90-100% water changes daily until they can cope with a filter (sponge filter highly suggested) they shouldn't go into a cycled tank yet.
Hope this helps, and also how old are your axies?

They are almost 4 weeks i was told by the pet shop to do the filter? But i do daily water changes of at least. 80percent

If they're 4 weeks old, you should definitely be dividing them by size! They'll start eating each other pretty soon. I would definitely not keep 25 in one container at that age.

Like kaysie said at around 4 weeks they should be separated by size. I have mine in a few desktop A4 paper stackers to save space, (All 150+ where on the kitchen table today while I was having a house inspection. I wonder what they thought. lol). If there's a Sam's warehouse in your area you can get 8ltr tubs for about $5 or the lunch containers in packs of threes, and many other tubs and food containers.
When doing 90-100% water changes (dechlorinated water at the same temp as the axie water) you don't need a filter and it is stressfull to the young axie larvae. Unfortunately not many pet stores in most areas of australia are very educated when it comes to axolotl larvae, I lost an axolotl cos a pet store sold me gravel for him. this forum is great for axie owners everywhere, It saved my other two.
there is plenty of other related info in the sticky's you should definitely read them! Goodluck

I have about 40 -50 in a big styrofoam box, and roughly the same maybe a couple more in my 50 litre tank with the water level about 12-15 cm, with a sand box filter with a little pump on it with the shower thing against the glass for not too much flow and course gravel in the filter and they are fine, i have had roughly 20 die since hatching but thats when i had alot of them partitioned into smaller tubs, i work long days so fed them once a day and i think they ate the smaller ones gills. in the tank and box the water keeps the food moving about better so they are constantly eating. and i change the water maybe every 3 or 4 days bout 50%?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back