Would an axie that has never been with other axies be aggressive ?

sammie68

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Happy Axi !
Hi everyone,

Well I went to my favourite pet store today and got myself a new 3ft tank (after the old one sprung a leak earlier this week), the lovely people there let me take it home to use while I pay it off.

Anyway while I was there I picked up our second axie "Pedro" he looks fantastic, healthy with lovely gills. I asked the lady I always deal with, where they get there axies from and she told me they are bred in Melb and then shipped up in individual containers. They never come into contact with other axies or fish. I'm just wondering since my guy has never been with other axies would he be aggressive with Taco when I finally add him to the new tank.?

At the pet store, all the axolotls are kept on bare bottom tanks and always on their own. This particular pet store always has healthy looking axies in stock,not to mention the other animals they keep there as well. So I'm kinda inclined to believe what this lady is telling me about the axies origins....

Have just finished setting up the new tank and will add pics of Pedro tomorrow.

Kind regards
Sammie.

Sounds like a good pet store near you!
If you set up a tank divider and let them get used to each other it should work out?you'll have to keep the new one quarantined for a while I should think though first?I have no idea how long you'd be best keeping them divided in the tank for though....all mine arrived together so hopefully someone with more experience on that front can answer :)

As long as they are around the same size and past the cannibal baby stage they should be fine.

Thanks guys, he is the same size as Taco, I can't tell if he has black tips on his toes like Taco though, I can't wait to add Pedro - Just so much fun lol .......

Quarantine for 30 days

I cant see why they wouldn't get on, just make sure you provide them with plenty of hides :D

Mel

If you use a see through divide they'll soon get used to each other. I was terrified when I first put mine together but it all worked out fine

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back