How much do young eat?

J

jcj57

I have just bought 2 young axololts. They are about 10cm long. This is day 4. One seems to eat well, frozen blood worms and earthworms from my worm farm. The other has only eaten a tiny bit of blood worms and one earthworm. I am buying some pellets tonight - I've only had mature axolotyls before who ate feeder fish and bloodworms and the occasional earthworm.

:confused:
1. How much do they usually eat at this age ? (One ate three worms in a sitting about 3cm long - the other one and then nothing else).
2. Would feeder fish be too big at this stage?

I think feeder fish will be to big for them at the moment. I would feed daily. Make sure their tummy isnt bigger than their head and you should be right.

So just feed them till they stop? At night I guess is best.

I always feed mine at night. With the adults they say to feed them whatever they can eat in 5 minutes but I put the food in and then once I get my kids to bed I will go and clean up the tanks and get the left over food out.

Offer worms twice per day if you want them to grow fast. Most people say to stay away from feeder fish because they can be infested with parasites. Earthworms are an excellent food.

Thanks guys. Bernadette is still the biggest eater. Luckily I have a well established worm farm out the back.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back