Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help needed please!

Loobylou

Reaction score
I didn't know what to put as a title for this thread, but I needed a little advice.

I've been offered a 4 foot x 18 inch fish tank, but I only have a 4ft by 16 inch cupboard to put it on... Will this be safe? Or will I be looking at a 4ft 16 inch cupboard, a ton of water and lots of pieces of broken glass?!

Icarez

Reaction score
Or put a thick wooden plate of 4 foot x 18 inches on top of the 4ft x 16 inch cupboard to spread out the weight, can't garantee this will work though I believe the thicker the plate on top the best it will work since there is overhanging strain on the sides it must be thick enough to not bend and break, maybe somewhere arround 2 inch thick

Loobylou

Reaction score
I would try and get something to fit it properly.

Mel

I've been looking around for a sideboard/cupboard it's just hard trying to find something the right size.

Or put a thick wooden plate of 4 foot x 18 inches on top of the 4ft x 16 inch cupboard to spread out the weight, can't garantee this will work though I believe the thicker the plate on top the best it will work since there is overhanging strain on the sides it must be thick enough to not bend and break, maybe somewhere arround 2 inch thick

I did this with another of my tanks, I have a 5x2 foot tank on a 5x2 piece of kitchen worktop resting on a smaller cupboard and it's fine. Unfortunately I don't know anyone else to steal bits of kitchen from :/

Icarez

Reaction score
Well, I guess at the hardware store, or something like the hornbach (I guess the UK probably has something similar) you can buy a descent peace of wood of thats size for like 25 pounds tops?
I don't know excactly :p but I personally wouldn't mind paying some money for a thing like this, gives you some options on the look to :)

coral2reef

Reaction score
I have a 4 foot tank on a 2 foot cabinet, it is resting on a piece of hardwood that I had cut slightly bigger than the tank. It's not ideal but the tank isn't full up and is very shallow and not full up so only about 100 odd litres (which is less than the one I previously had on it. I think kitchen worktop is an ace idea by the way

mogs9999

Reaction score
just pop down to halfords, most of the, can cut a piece of would to the correct size for ya aswell and then chuck thats on top of your cupboard

coral2reef

Reaction score
Do Halfords sell wood?! They don't round here ... Did you mean B&Q? I was fortunate I work in a day centre where we have a woodwork room, just gave them the measurements and the colour I wanted and 2 days later it was all done (fhe box of chocs probably helped) they even edged it and painted that black to match my tank :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1