Japanese fire belly with oscar fish!!

Red Eft14

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Senad
So today I was at work and I had my lunch break.So I went to the sushi resturant down the block and they had a japanese fire belly with 2 oscar fish,4 jack dempsy's and one pike fish...in case you don't know about fish those are aggresive fish that eat other animals.One of the workers said he had the newt in there for a long time with no problems and he feeds it monnows all the time.He said the oscar fish are scared of it lol.He offered me it but I have no room whatsoever.I'am going to try to see if one of my friends can take it.

lol yeah that's really not a good idea for them to be together, that's cool that he offered it to you though.
hopefully your friend can take it, i know i've been looking for some haha. that also makes me wonder what temperature the water must be kept at because i think those fish require more room temperature water (76-80) so that's not good for the newt either.

Yeah the fish are tropicial fish so the water is at 80 but the newt is hardey.Not saying its a good idea to mix though and also my friend is almost certian he can take it and maybe if i make room I can take it but most likely I cant't.

I can only guess that the newt and the fish grew up together or the fish are still small. I'm especially concerned about the pike, they've been known to attack prey much larger than they are (even unlucky hands!) Though I have heard of incompatible species somehow getting along. (cat and bird, lion and gazzlle, etc.)

Both fish are large enough to swallow the newt.Also pike fish eat amphibians in the wild as a natrual and common food source.But somehow the fish are scared of the newt lol and it steals minnows from the fishand thats all it eats is minnows.I'am going to try to ask the guy next time I go to work if I could have it.

And the newt and fish did not grow up together.I asked the guy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back