Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The disgrace of Pet-supermarket

Dcerdeiras

Reaction score
I have never seen such maltreatment of fish at a pet store in my life!! I have seen dead fish, lizards, and crabs before, but this one is just ignorant and stupid!

They put a marine "snow-flake moray eel" in a freshwater tank!!! the poor thing is in the corner dying!!

Its a disgrace that they even ordered a marine animal when they don't even have any marine tanks!!

Just wanted to let off steam.

Last edited:

AngieD

Reaction score
It disgusts me when pet shops do things like that. I've seen a few pet shops keep their stock in terrible conditions and it always makes me really angry. I sometimes complain about the conditions to my boyfriend and hope I'm just about loud enough for the owners or staff to hear

totallyrad

Reaction score
yeah i have to agree, pet supermarket is horrible. but so is any of the other big name pet stores.
no one seems to even know anything about the animals they keep. if you ask them a serious question
they kind of look at you stupid.

Molch

Reaction score
I think it depends on whoever is in charge at the local store. I've seen some really good husbandry at big name chains like pet smart of pet co.

I would write a formal but strongly worded letter to the manager of that store. Tell them that their customers notice these things and that you, for one, will not buy anything there again until they show some commitment to improve their animals' conditions.

NooNoo Kz

Reaction score
A really expensive pet store I some times go to know nothing about axolotls... Nothing at all. They give great advice! Great wrong advice....
We went down to a pet store called Best Friends though, they are also a bit expensive but they are really well . I asked a trainee why the axolotls weren't on gravel and she said "Because gravel can be really harmful to axolotls and they cant digest them and can be quite painful"...
Another pet shop called Pet Stock, a fairly big pet store chain, I told them we had some axies for sale, and she said "We will take your number and give you a call when a customer asks for one so they dont get unsettled in our tanks..." This store has alot of good things but also a few negatives.
Pails for scales though- not recommended.

AngieD

Reaction score
The Pets at Home shop near me nearly always has a 'not for sale. currently undergoing treatment' notice on one of the tanks. I don't think I'd trust that place enough to buy fish.

Dcerdeiras

Reaction score
Well here's the reply to the email:

"Thank you for contacting our office to express your concerns regarding fish at our Pet Supermarket #136 location. We are always interested in hearing from our customers, but regret the circumstances that prompted your comments. I have forwarded your remarks to the district manager for their review and any corrective measures necessary.

Please accept our sincere apologies for your experience on this visit. I assure you that your comments will be reviewed and discussed with the management at this location.

Once again, I thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your visit to our Pet Supermarket #136 location. Please know that your comments are invaluable to us in our efforts to improve customer service and the operations of our stores.

Sincerely,
Customer Relations Department
Pet Supermarket Corporate"

I hope they do something.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1