Illness/Sickness: Is my Axolotl sick?

soliedejoy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been trying to make the best habitat for my axolotl but it seems things might not be the greatest.

Their odd behaviors:
- discoloration near the back as well as transitioning from back to tail.
- sometimes float two front legs
- mouth a little puffy

Aquarium info:
- water is around 65 F
- change the water (25%) once a week
- feed them once or twice a day (blood worms) - they are eating them
- have two whisper filters and occasional air bubbler that i might plug in every once in a while.
- test the Ph and ammonia levels once a week
- never have light on them - only natural light from the window(in the picture there is light but thats because i needed pictures.)

What might have caused some of the stressed behaviors:

- was told not to put anything else but sand but i also read that small stones could be used to. they never stop eating what i give them so i cant image that might be it.
- i placed a sucker fish in the tank but before doing so i placed a bacteria fizz tablet into the fish aquarium before bringing it over. Not only that, they seemed to be this way before.
- whenever i change the water i use some of the filtered water from the sick as well as just placing a dechlorinated fuzz pill into the water to remove any chlorine.
- whenever the Ph is low or the ammonia is low i change the water or/as well as place a fuzz pill into the water to help stabilize the water. i dont know if this is the greatest idea. my only concern about the fuzz tablets is that it might not be for sensitive creatures as axolotls.

Does my tank look good? Should i add or remove anything

Please help me - i truly try hard to give them the best life possible.

ps. i have tried salt baths but only did it for 3 days.

Attachments

• sick.jpg
    sick.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 415
  • sick (2).jpg
    sick (2).jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 554
  • sick (3).jpg
    sick (3).jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 951
  • sick (5).jpg
    sick (5).jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 625
  • sick (6).jpg
    sick (6).jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 689
  • sick (7).jpg
    sick (7).jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,341
Your axolotls look pretty healthy and your causes for concern do not seem like anything other than normal axololt behaviour apart from the colour changes and do you know what that red spots is on one of their heads?

I'd remove the gravel and either kep them on sand or have no substrate at all. I also don't think that bloodworm is a good food for an axolotl of that size. It might contain everything an axolotl needs but it would be like us only being fed on rice all our lives. I would try earthworms, crickets,axolotl pellets and the very occasional cooked, peeled and well washed prawn.

Regards Neil

- have two whisper filters and occasional air bubbler that i might plug in every once in a while
-----this way cause way too much water flow.

What might have caused some of the stressed behaviors:
- was told not to put anything else but sand but i also read that small stones could be used to. they never stop eating what i give them so i cant image that might be it.
-----small stones should not be used. You should remove them and either do bare bottom or sand.

- i placed a sucker fish in the tank but before doing so i placed a bacteria fizz tablet into the fish aquarium before bringing it over. Not only that, they seemed to be this way before.
-----Did you remove the fish? If not, you should remove it. They can suck the skin off your axolotl and can also cause problems if your axie tries to eat it

- whenever i change the water i use some of the filtered water from the sick as well as just placing a dechlorinated fuzz pill into the water to remove any chlorine.
-----I would use a different dechlrorinator like prime. I don't think those fizzy things are the best to use.

- whenever the Ph is low or the ammonia is low i change the water or/as well as place a fuzz pill into the water to help stabilize the water. i dont know if this is the greatest idea. my only concern about the fuzz tablets is that it might not be for sensitive creatures as axolotls.
-----I agree...I don't think the fizzy things are helping and may be causing a problem.

It might contain everything an axolotl needs but it would be like us only being fed on rice all our lives.

Regards Neil

actually you can live for 4 years on only rice, but then you die of eventual miniral/vitamin deficiancies. But still thats ages for only eating one food! :D

Thank you for your help. i am so revealed for all your answers.

i will remove all the pebbles, stop using the fuzz tablets and use "prime". I actually dont know what prime is. Can you lead me in the right direction- where can I find it. Also i forgot to mention that i do actually feed my axolotls earthworms but not too often because they seem not to like it as much as the bloodworms (once they spit out all the worms that they ate). i have been looking for sinking pellets but cant find any that i like. Do any of you have a website i can buy axolotl pellets from?

The sucker fish - holy **** i did not know they will suck the skin off the axolotl (feel so stupid for not thinking of that). I took the sucker fish out once i say my axolotl have a wound on its head. Damn sucker fish!

Axolotls will spit out regular composting worms, (red wigglers or tiger worms) because they taste bad. You should try earthworms, the ones i the garden, not the compost :) they are much bigger and more brown looking. You can buy them online too and start an earthworm wormfarm.

You can find prime at petco or petsmart. That's where I buy it.
What worms do you feed? I feed mine the trout worms from walmart.

Seachem Prime is a liquid dechlorinator that most pet stores that sell aquarium products should have, although some places will stock other brands, it's essentially all the same.
Go to your local pet store and ask for a water dechlorinator (or conditioner), nothing fancy like fizz tablets or something with aloe vera added which claims to help your fish stress less - the problem with this is that it's designed for fish and axolotls are not fish ;)

Apart from everything else people have pointed out your axolotls look fine and healthy :) If they don't seem into earthworms try some of the other foods Neil recommended, my axies were fed on crickets for a while and they loved them (although, they've loved everything I've ever fed them, haha)

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME ITS URGENT!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
some one anyone help me please i think i've got a sick axie because he is not eating and the tip of his tail is bent and he is discoloured, i don't know how to make him better, i have not had any experiences with axolotls, this is my first axolotl and IM FREAKING OUT THAT I WILL LOOSE HIM
anyone help!!!!!!!
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

You've posted on an old thread from 2011.

Have you checked the water parameters? You must check the water quality is safe for your Axolotl using a liquid testing kit like this one: Welcome to API Fishcare: FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT

The tank must also be cycled for your water quality to be maintained. Read these links: Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality

Have you changed anything with your setup recently?

What do you feed your Axoltol?

Can you post some pictures of your Axolotl and tank setup?

i don't know how to insert photos put i feed him axolotl pellets and i went a little bit behind schedule for the weekly recycle and i just did one about 10 mins ago and put chlroine and ammonia neutraliser in it and a little bit of water ager

do you have a test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph? If so, have you tested for these parameters and temperature? If you don't have a kit, it would be best to invest in one as they are important in ensuring good water quality. AxolotlWrangler has given some good links on a good kit and an article on what aquarium cycling is. Have a read of the cycling link. Cycling is not the process of water changes.

When you make a post, click on "go advanced" and there is a button above the text box that allows you to attach files. You can post pics that way. There may be easier methods that I am not aware of though.

these r the photos, the quality is super **** cause my phone is so old
i searched up a fresh water tested kit and there about $50 im only 15 i dont have that kind of money

Attachments

• IMG_3855[1].JPG
    IMG_3855[1].JPG
    283.5 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_3856[1].JPG
    IMG_3856[1].JPG
    220 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_3857[1].JPG
    IMG_3857[1].JPG
    234 KB · Views: 192
Having your own kit is really the best thing for maintaining water quality and having the readings for the parameters would help to see what is going on. But if you are unable to get your own kit, you can take a sample of the water in your tank and get your local aquarium store to test it for you. But make sure they tell you exactly what the readings are as they sometimes just say the water is fine when it is not.

The photos are not the best but it looks like there is a lot of redness? This could indicate a bacterial infection. Veterinary attention may be needed.

You can buy that same testing kit from Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI Its not too expensive, perhaps your parents wouldnt mind going halfs for the sake of looking after your Axolotl.

Make sure you read the links I posted above to give you good knowledge on how to maintain your tanks water.

The photos are not the best but it looks like there is a lot of redness? This could indicate a bacterial infection. Veterinary attention may be needed.

Perhaps, although it looks like its maybe a copper Axolotl? Maybe the lack of light is giving it that red tinge?

Lilliana D : what type of Axolotl do you have? Can you take more up close images. You can attach images to your posts by clicking the paper clip icon in this image: Paper clip.jpg

Then once you have clicked the paper clip choose the picture you want to upload, after choosing the picture and clicking upload, click the paper clip again and select the picture you uploaded to attach it to your post: Paper clip2.jpg

It could be just the quality of the photos giving the redness. Although it looks more like a golden albino to me. Maybe some more details on the discolouration would also help as well. I also notice the dorsal fin seems to be receding but this also could be the quality of the photos.

hes a gold axolotl, hes not red at all its just bad lighting and bad quality photo, im at school at the moment so i cant show you a photo just yet

i have now change his water, because i think it was contaminated because it smelt kind of weird and he didnt seem to be getting any better so i change all of his water

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back