Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Help me im desperate

handemum

Reaction score
Hi i need help im pulling at strings my axie has been floating on her side with head under water for 5 days now and wont eat anything at all i have tried for a week and a half i have checked her water and her tank is always clean and she lives alone and no gravel in tank she tries to swim down but gets pulled back up and her tummy is swollen i have tried the fridge and nothing we dont have an axie vet in town and im freaking out i love her and dont want her to die any suggestions would be great:( and shes been stressing out

Zenna

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear, I dont know much, but from what i have read, You should at least lower her water so its covering her but she can touch the bottom? That might help her not stress that much. Thats about as much advice as I can give untill someone more experianced comes on and helps =/

Best of luck.

danchristopher

Reaction score
What type of substrate is your axie on? What do you feed her and how often? What exactly did you check your water for (ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, pH)?

Also, you mention you put her in the fridge, how long did you have her in there for and did she pass anything while she was in there?

There are a number of reasons that your axie might be floating, a picture would definitely help :)

handemum

Reaction score
i put her in a container and lowered the water and put her in the fridge for a day and nothing happened, i checked her water for ph and it was 7.5 i did a complete water change while she was out in fridge and she had largish rocks at the bottom of her tank and re tested ph and put the drops in water to get rid of chlorine and chloramine:(

handemum

Reaction score
DSCF0991.jpg

DSCF0992.jpgi put her in a container and lowered the water and put her in the fridge for a day and nothing happened, i checked her water for ph and it was 7.5 i did a complete water change while she was out in fridge and she had largish rocks at the bottom of her tank and re tested ph and put the drops in water to get rid of chlorine and chloramine:(

handemum

Reaction score
the blood worms are there cos i just tried to feed her but she still wont eat

Mandy6

Reaction score
I'd keep her in a cool container with just enough water to cover her. That way she can touch the bottom and it will help her calm down. How big were the rocks that you had? Were they definetely bigger than her head?

If there is any chance she could have swallowed something I'd keep her in the fridge for a few days at least

handemum

Reaction score
the rocks were the size of my palm and flatish i never put anything small in her tank

handemum

Reaction score
Hey guys managed to Gert her to eat a small piece of chicken finite. But is it normal for her to play with the water filter? She still floating but lower water making her les stressed out

Mandy6

Reaction score
Some axies like to play like that. If she's eating and playing thats a good sign =3 I'm not sure what else to advise other than keep her water clean, cool and shallow to keep her calm.

How old is she?

danchristopher

Reaction score
Yup, do as Mandy says.
I'd say eating is a positive sign :) But if she continues to float perhaps a slightly longer holiday in the fridge could do some good... maybe wait to see if anyone else can weigh in on this; fridging is often considered the quick-fix around here, haha.

As for the pH, axolotls are fine with harder water so 7.5 is no problem. My axies are quite happy with their 7.6 pH :D

But a couple of other questions...
Is she still curled over like in the photo and does she try to swim around (apart from 'playing' with the filter)?
How long has the tank been setup and how often do you do water changes?
It's really hard to tell from the photos so I figured I'd ask anyway - does it look like she has an air bubble under her skin?

handemum

Reaction score
i have had her for 3 months she was in a bad state when i got her and severly neglected by a teenage boy, i change her water 20% once every two days and a a complete water change every week and a half i have dropped her water down in her tank she seems happy nestled up to thermometer and water filter but she is curled up like that for going on 6 days i cant see any bubbles under her skin and i thought that she needed to fart at first i have covered her with a blanket to keep her dark she hasnt thrown up her foos when i checked this morning but the amount she ate was very small so its a start my partner will not allow me to put her in the fridge again cos he thinks its grose. so i am going to try cooling down the water with a few ice cubes at a time. she tries to swin down when there is more water but she keeps floating back to the top when she stops trying
which is not normal

danchristopher

Reaction score
What is the temp of her tank?
Even better would be to get some 2L plastic bottles and fill them nearly to the top with water and then freeze them.
I would not recommend ice cubes but if you have no alternative make sure the water is dechlorinated before frozen.

The problem with this method is it can make the temperature a little bit unstable, which can also lead to more stress unfortunately :(
Your partner might think it's gross, but it may be the best way to save your animal. You can put a lid on the container and cover it in a tea towel, he won't even know she's in there.
Axolotl Sanctuary

handemum

Reaction score
ill try the coke bottle thing then, he notices whats in the fridge on account he goes in there so often to see what he can eat, tank temp is currently at 17c if she survives till next week im thinking of buying a beer fridge just for this purpose lol

handemum

Reaction score
ok so i put a frozen coke bottle in tank and checked on her an hr later she has nestled herself next to the bottle is that normal?

handemum

Reaction score
just an update to let u know
isis is coming right i kept her water cool for 2 weeks and she has eaten again today 2nt time in 2 weeks
and she is no longer floating on her side

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1