Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Check-Up

joshimoshi26

Reaction score
Hey all Axie experts,
would you be able to determine the health of Flick, my axolotl, by this picture, and if there are any problems how can i fix them? :(

Personally im a little bit worried bout his gills but that is all :confused:

Thanx Josh

Attachments

• 2011-10-11_17.43.37[2].jpg
    2011-10-11_17.43.37[2].jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 225
  • 2011-10-11_17.43.24[1].jpg
    2011-10-11_17.43.24[1].jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 217

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
First off, welcome to the forum!

The first thing you will want to do is get rid of that gravel! It is the perfect size to cause an impaction. Have you tested the water yet?

Actually, the more I look at your pics the more I'm convinced your axolotl is morphing, i.e the long toes, bulging eyes, reduced caudal fin. You're going to need to change setups completely (from aquatic to terrestrial) in a short bit of time. This caresheet should be able to help you out for after it morphs.

Last edited:

joshimoshi26

Reaction score
Ok thanx for the tips guys!
What do you suggest I replace the gravel with?
I have done some testing and noticed his ammonia and nitrate levels are dangerously high, so I've been doing daily water changes and have been adding a solution to 'eliminate' nitrate and ammonia.
I have been feeding him ground-feeder tablets, I'm thinking I should get some earthworms soon tho!

Josh

Oh and quickly, do you think there is any chance of reversing the morph, or is it to late for him now?

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Once the process of morphing begins, there isn't any stopping it.

I would just leave the tank bare bottom when you remove the gravel. It will only be a matter of days, maybe a week, before you'll need to change that tank to a terrestrial tank. Since it is going to be a terrestrial salamander then offering it worms to eat is your best option.

joshimoshi26

Reaction score
ok will get some from my worm farm hopefully, i have already gotten out and gotten a new tank and started setting it up, i will post a pic of the set up later to see if it is right\

Thanx for the help!

joshimoshi26

Reaction score
Also, if you dont mind looking, ive noticed a black spot on his back right leg, it doesnt look too good....:sick:

Attachments

• 2011-10-12_18.01.39[1].jpg
    2011-10-12_18.01.39[1].jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 189

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like a mole or pigmented spot.

I would reduce the water level (right away) and put in something that he can climb up on. And make sure the lid is escape-proof. Have you seen him coming up to the surface to breathe?

joshimoshi26

Reaction score
Is the mole/pigment spot dangerous?

And every now and again he cones up to breath on his log which half emerges out of the water, but he still spends a lot of time in the water, I've noticed he doesn't flick his Gills anymore (which is why I named him 'flick')

He has also stopped eating and becoming quite sluggish

Thanx Josh

joshimoshi26

Reaction score
I dont like to worry, but this has worried me, I've now noticed a lot of tiny black spots covering his whole body, I'll get a pic up soon, but does anyone possibly know what it is without the pic?

joshimoshi26

Reaction score
here is a pic of wat im worried about

Attachments

• 2011-10-14_19.06.29[1].jpg
    2011-10-14_19.06.29[1].jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 181

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I can't really tell from the picture but I would venture to say that it is just its terrestrial coloration starting to show up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1