Refusing food!

iChris

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Chris
One of my axies (knuckles, my melanoid) has out of the blue stopped eating.

it's been over a week now since she has had anything and I offer worms every second day.

Lance - Alotl has been eating as much as he can (as usual).

all the water chemistry checks out and are well in acceptable limits as is the temperature.

I've also caught her floating every so often and as such she was fridged for a few days last week but did not pass anything substantial.

I'm starting to get worried now!

Have you purchased your food from a diffrent shop????

Could you try to feed her something else? I've noticed that axies sometimes get bored with a sole food source, but return to them with a vengence again later. Most axies can't resist a piece of cooked, peeled and well washed prawn and this could tell you if it's boredom with worms or something else.

Regards Neil

Maybe try something new like blood worms or maggots maybe she would like to try something new. You could also (if feeding her something new doesn't work) try not feeding her for a few days and then try to feed her.
I have had the same problem as you.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Sam:happy:

I'll offer her some bloodworm tonight and see if she takes it.

prawn is out of the question as I'm allergic!

I'll let you know how it goes.

One of my axies (knuckles, my melanoid) has out of the blue stopped eating.

it's been over a week now since she has had anything and I offer worms every second day.

Lance - Alotl has been eating as much as he can (as usual).

all the water chemistry checks out and are well in acceptable limits as is the temperature.

I've also caught her floating every so often and as such she was fridged for a few days last week but did not pass anything substantial.

I'm starting to get worried now!
I have theexact same problem with uriel, except he isnt floating. Everything checks out but he refuses worms,even if i dangle them right infront and even on him. He's getting awfully thin now, im worried he wont make it:(.

ok, just a quick update on knuckles.

she is still not eating. water chemistry checks out still and temperature is hovering at about 17 degrees. Lance is still eating as much as usual.

Knuckles now has the dreaded kinked tail. I'm thinking I may try fridging her again, it's the only thing I can think of doing at this point as I'm completely stumped as to why she won't eat. I've tried earthworms, bloodworm and even a piece of beef heart, all without success. she just sits there and ignores it all. it's been almost 2 weeks now since she has eaten anything.

just another update.

bad news I'm afraid, Knuckles passed away sometime over night. she was being kept in the fridge again when she died, and for the few days she was in the fridge, there was not one single bit of waste. as per the recommended procedure, the water in the tub was replaced daily with treated water from the fridge.

Lance is still fine and eating as normal. I think knuckles could have had some sort of underlying condition that unfortunately I did not know about.

Poor knuckles, Im sorry for your loss.:( Sometimes theres only so much you can do.
I hope your other axies stay in good shape. They are in good hands :talker:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back