Shrunken Gills??

Jenste

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I have a 10 month old axolotl in a 36 gallon bow front and during the past month I have noticed a decrease in her gill size.

Change I have made in the past couple months - -

1) upgraded her from her temporary 10 gallon to her 36 gallon (we were in the process of moving from an apartment to a house)
2) changed her internal 30 gallon Cascade filter to a rated 50 gallon HOB filter.
3) added an aerator/decoration into her larger tank.

She is eating normally - 1 earth worm every other day. No discoloration of her skin, no curved tail, alert and inquisitive, she chases my finger up and down the glass like she always has...

Nothing else about her has changed except her gills are about 1/2 the size they were when I got her in April.

When her tank was upgraded I seeded her 50 gallon with the filter media from her previous filter and her readings are 0ppm Ammonia, 0ppm Nitrite and 10ppm NitrAte. Temp 67*F.

Hey. You have added new things to the tank which increse oxygenation in the water, like a bubble maker and a HOB filter. They stir up the water and put more oxygen in it. Because your water peramiters are good, i'd say its because she is getting a lot more oxygen that she used to so her gills are shrinking. This happens often with axies, their gills will get bigger if they get less oxygen, and smaller when they have enough. Its their way of adapting for optimum oxygen absorbtion.

It is nothing to worry about, its just a change in appearance :)

Thank you Rachel - that makes me feel MUCH better! I am quite attached to my little Reese and was panicking that she was going to morph...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back