Himalayan Newt Eggs - Advice please?!

kewxedge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
kewxedge
Hi All,

I've just got home to see that one (or two?) of my newts have laid a load of eggs around the tank! What am I supposed to do with these? Do I leave them in there, do I take them out and keep them separate?

Any advice would be awesome.

Thanks,
Matt

Congratulations! This article should get you started:
Caudata Culture Articles - Raising Newts and Salamanders from Eggs

What you do with them really depends on... what you want to do with them! Do you want to raise them? And if so, how many? If you leave them in the tank, the adults may (or may not) eat them, but this is not always a bad thing, especially if they produced a large number.

If you don't want all those eggs, you can advertise them, I'm sure people would go crazy for them.

Thanks for the links and help! Very useful indeed!

All the eggs have hatched now - so I've got ~40 little tadpoles swimming around! I'm struggling a little to find the foods needed for them though! Wish me luck!

I will be selling them - just not yet. This is the first time my lovely newts have laid any eggs - so I want to see how far I can go with them before passing them on! They're so cute! :D

Mix of the two :) I have 3 adults - 2 are dark, 1 is light. I'm fairly sure it's the female that's light...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back