Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Baby fell on the floor!

Zenna

Reaction score
Like my title says, One of my babys fell on the floor :( LUCKILY I was just walking in to feed them.. I think he heard the door close and it startled him because he just jumped right out of his container! :( Maybe about a 2 - 3 foot fall :( I scooped him up as quick as i could and put him back. Hes not missing anything just a bit shook up, Is there anything I can do for him? I lowered his water as much as i could, but since my juvies like to swim its hard. I just lowered it untill i can get a taller container for them all, and moved them right into the middle of their table. it was weird. he jumped like.. 3 inches over table :eek: But yeah.. is there anything i can do till i can get Taller containers?

HappySkittles

Reaction score
Put a lid of some kind on your container. You can't do anything for the actual animal that fell besides take care of it like you normally would but a lid can keep it from happening again or even just some mesh cloth or something...something to keep them from getting out easily.

Zenna

Reaction score
Alright, its just so weird. this has never happend before. one as jumped outta the plastic spoon while i was moving to a new container, but that was like 1 cm and he landed on the table. so i just scooped him up, but Dot literally like.. jumped over the table >_<

HappySkittles

Reaction score
It happens...things get scared and jump. Or things get greedy and jump. I've had to chase fish over desks and eels across the floor and shrimp behind dressers because it just happens LOL

Luckily my axolotls have never escaped tho when I was a kid I had a couple newts get out and dry up :(

Don't let it get to you :) just keep an eye out and do your best to prevent it from happening again.

yellowpebble

Reaction score
one of my 5cm babies jumped out while i was at work and was on the table for at leist 6 hours. He was so dy and cracked i was so sure he was dead :( but he fliped around like crazy when i touched him, so i put him back in a container and he was alive :D then all his dry skin peeled off in sheets and he was in a bad way for a coupple of weeks, his tail and gills were all curled up. But i gave him cold water and tea baths, and he recovered and now i cant tell him appart from any of the others. They are very strong, take care of yours !

Icarez

Reaction score
I once found one of my latest axies on the floor when I woke up, It jumped out at night and I didn't notice it at first, I just went down and got my coffee, when I got back up to stare at my friends I noticed one of them wasn't home
I had to search my room in order to find him laying silent infront of my desktop computer
As soon as I touched him he also woke up all of the sudden and started flipping arround, he was already dry and leathery
I put him back and after 3 days or so a little peice of his tail fell off and grew back :) he has now grown normal and is busy being a happy axolotl

iSuzie

Reaction score
I had 3 containers next to each other and i was feeding them bloodworm's.. they were 4cm long at this stage and i put food in one container and it scared the baby so much he jumped right out and laned in the third container along!! Jumped right over the middle container... Lucky he picked the best spot to go... Maybe he just wanted to visit his brother?... Lol... After that they got tall container with lids and tiny holes :D Then a 2ft tank... Where they are happily living now :D

Zenna

Reaction score
Wow guys =X Im glad yours are all okay and im REALLY glad He jumped out as soon as i walked in, Because then i was right there to get him, other than collecting a bit of dirt, and being a bit shook up, hes fine. But that did really scare me ><' Now ive got taller containers, bigger in size too, Im going to fill them about half way and then hopefully they should have lots of room to swim around and hopefully not be able to jump out!

Axie23

Reaction score
As mean as this sounds, i must admit I had a good laugh at your title!;). When I first got my axies in egg form a few months ago i had quite a few accidents when a accidently tipped the container over and had babies all over the place! i just made sure to pick them all up as soon as possible, and they were fine. I would also suggest getting a lid. preferably with holes in it, you don't want to suffocate the axies. maybe keep the jumpers in an extra dark place, or put a cloth over the container so they calm down a bit. you could also try putting extra food in their with them when they are in the dark place? Although if your don't use daphnia/bbs etc, then it's kind of tricky. just treat them like little princes and princesses for a while until they go back to normal:)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1