Think I have a problem

Jenste

Reaction score
Country
United States
My mom came over today with a "surprise" - - she whipped out a bag...and in it was this...She had saw it in a pet store and remembered me saying I was saving up for ordering another one...so she picked it up for me because we NEVER seem them in stores in RI or SE Mass...

I have a 36 gallon bow front with 1 adult (10 month old) axie female...

This little one is in its own 10 gallon...but I fear it is not an axolotl? It's gills look wrong. Or is it just that they are poorly from being improperly cared for at a pet store? My mom said they were housed with plecos and young goldfish in a gravel bottomed tank. She says the tank was labeled axolotls and she picked the one who looked the most healthy.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 420
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 324
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
Hello Jenste,
I'm sorry to say but that looks like a Tiger Salamander Larvae.
I was in that same position when I first purchased my 1st "Axolotl" from a Private Fish collector.
I've did alot of comparing my larvae to Axolotls to tell them apart and plus there color is way different from an Axolotl. TigerSal's have Fatter/wide toe's. Axolotls have long fingers. Here is a picture of my tiger salamander Larvae when I 1st got her.
Photo3347-1.jpg

I think that it does look like an axolotl... it just looks like it's been poorly cared for. If she picked the best looking one I can't even begin to imagine what the others looked like O_O poor things D:

The other fish probably chewed off it's gills and it looks like they haven't fed it in a while, or didn't feed it properly. If you've got earthworms I'd feed it a those over the next week and see if it improves a little, it might poop out some gravel as well. Maybe if you've got some beef heart as well, that might help it to put some weight back on.

edit: didn't see everyone elses posts, lol.

::sigh::

I was afraid of that...I think I will give the little guy a few days and some proper earth worm feedings, take a few pictures once he is settled and see what happens.

if it is a tiger salamander... How do I care for it? What size/age does it morph? What set up does it need and could the current 10 gallon be enough because I am not allowed any other tanks as I have quite a few (more than the hubby would like as it is :p)

(if I keep it...I am on the fence...a forum member has already contacted me and offered to take it off my hands if it does turn out to be a salamander)

if it is a tiger salamander... How do I care for it? What size/age does it morph? What set up does it need and could the current 10 gallon be enough because I am not allowed any other tanks as I have quite a few (more than the hubby would like as it is :p)

(if I keep it...I am on the fence...a forum member has already contacted me and offered to take it off my hands if it does turn out to be a salamander)

If it's not what you wanted then wait and hand it off to someone else who would want it :)
That way if you see something you do REALLY want, you will have the tank space for it

To be fair I haven't decided yet which is why I was asking about how to properly care for it in case I do keep it... I'd rather be informed now then last minute so I can start figuring it all out.

Here are some new pictures of her/him

Just gobbled down a worm :) and now is relaxing

The pictures are very similar, but I was taking them hoping that one or another would help us figure out what he/she is!

005-4.jpg

003-4.jpg

002-4.jpg

I think I am leaning toward tiger salamander larva....is that pretty much the consensus? I cannot tell by the toes unfortunately, but the color seems to match all the photos I can find of tiger salamander larvae.

Whatever it is, it's just GORGEOUS!! Look at those massive back feet :eek: and the expression on its face - I love it!

He is a little darling but I think he would be better suited to someone with experience with them. I have been speaking to Eric (Linus) from this forum about taking him. Eric has experience with them and I think he would be in much better hands! I wouldn't want to keep him in a cramped little 10 gallon forever.

Got a 35 gal bow with his name on it :p Might grab his brothers and sisters today also.

if you do end up coming to the area send me an email - - If I am around I will pack up this little guy and meet you!

problem solved :)

The little guy has a new home with Eric (Linus) :D

Definitely a tiger. Glad you found a good home for it!

have to agree, definitely a tiger salamander :p but he's a cute one! the easiest way for me to tell is usually the gills and legs/toes. also the head seems to be longer but it could be my imagination. color is kinda hard to tell but they do usually look more dull copper. at least you found him a new home :]

He's enjoying his 36 gal, I went in and educated the staff at "pets supplies plus" as well. Had the poor things in 78 degree water on gravel with high lighting labeled 'communal egg layer'. After having a good laugh I asked that they please set them up like larval tigers rather than tropical fish and I directed them here. They seemed to listen. We'll see!

Anyway I'll post pics of his new house this week! It's always nice to meet someone from the forum, nice to meet you again Jenste! :D

It was great meeting you too! I feel much better knowing that the little guy is being properly cared for! How many more did you get?

hope your mom didnt pay more than 20 for it? because thats a tiger salamander larvae

looks a bit like my sally :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back