Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Lumpy side.

theblondie616

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to the site. I was wondering if some one could help me. I've had my axolotl for about a week now and he has developed 3 lumps in his side. I gave him pellets for the first time the day before yesterday and he ate 6. Could that be it? He's about 9cm long and his sides are still clearish. Also I'm having trouble keeping the
Ammonia levels down. I had the tank for two weeks before I put my axolotl in. Could it still be cycling and having Ammonia highs? I'm doing a 20% water change every day. Also he wouldn't eat yesterday and hardly moved. I was worried he wasn't pooing as well but he had one last night and 3 today. He seems a bit better now.

Info.
70 letter tank
White fine sand
19c
Fake plants
Hide
Ammonia was 0.55 today but I do 20% changes every day
Filter on lowest setting. Hangs off the back of the tank but I have prevented the water from plunging back into the tank.

One more thing. After I treat the water how long till its safe to put in the tank?
Any help would be great guys. I didn't think I would worry so much over a white slug with legs.
Thanx

Kenneth

Reaction score
What kind of pelletes were they and what is the tank temp? I think the sand may be helping with the beneficial bacteria, but you may want to think of a moss ball or two. And are you POSITIVE the filter does not stress him? (look for gill movement when he's just sitting there).

I generally treat the water then let it sit for a day (though many have different methods, you may want to wait for someone else to chime in). I realize its hard to do this when youre in the process of daily changes, but two buckets solves this.

Kenneth

Reaction score
So did you cycle the tank with an ammonia source in it? Did you just have the filter going and the sand in the tank during this process? And as a side note, the ammonia spikes sometimes during the cycle, I cycled with my axie in it and just tried to not let it get above .5, if i saw it at 1 I did a 30% water change (little more than usual). Plus, two weeks may not be enough time, it could still be in the ammonia phase.

theblondie616

Reaction score
Thanx for the fast reply guys. I added nutrafin for the first 3 days that I had my tank. One gill seems to be curling forward but its hard to tell his tail is straight though. He fans his gills every now and then. If I get a new filter will I have to cycle the tank agen? Also is more than one water change a day ok? Agen thanx guys

theblondie616

Reaction score
Quick update, he's moving around more but he's still off his food.
Ammonia is still high at 0.25 will this kill him? Moss ball is the way to go then?

theblondie616

Reaction score
Update. He ate a worm today, that can't be a bad thing. Any answers to my above questions are very welcome.

Johan

Reaction score
Very good to read he ate today :) how are the 'lumps' looking now?

To lower ammonia, you could try to add some quick growing cold water plants, like E. densa (waterweed).

When you replace a filter, you probably want to use some or all of the sponges from the old filter in the new filter.
Also do not change too much water at the same time when doing this, as the bacteria live in the filters and the aquarium water. Do you have an internal or external filter?

As long as you ammonia level is too high you can do daily water changes, you might do higher percentages depending on how high the ammonia level is.

Don't forget that if you take out too much water every day, the bacteria have no chance to do their work and cycling will take longer.

Good luck with all!

theblondie616

Reaction score
Thax for the reply. Lumps seem to be going down a lot. Gills seem better to. Must of been the pellets. One thing I did notice is that his tail membrane was sort of ruffled when I came back from work. He was attacking the air stone at the time, it straightened as soon as he stopped. My filter hangs off the back of my tank. I have the tanks water level close to where the filterd water trickles back into the tank. I them have half a plastic bottle fixed in under that to stop the water plunging into the tank. That sound ok? Also how long can an ammonia spike last? Thanx

theblondie616

Reaction score
Looking agen I think his tail membrane is still a little ruffled. The tail its self is straight though

Johan

Reaction score
Hi, he could have gotten stressed by the air stone, I'm not sure, does it create a lot of movement in the water? Maybe it would be best to take it out or set it much slower?

I know that colder water contains more oxygen than warmer water and movement of the top layer of the water helps too for oxygen. The filter outlet height sounds good, if your filter has a pipe that you can turn, you could also try to let the water hit a window first if you want it to go slower.

If the lump is going down than it probably are the pellets indeed :)
How long a ammonia spike can last, I think that depends a lot but I guess about a week or two?

Kind regards!

Kenneth

Reaction score
Also I don't think I read this anywhere: How big is he? The pellets are more visible in their tummy the smaller they are, ammonia at .25 will not kill him just stay vigilant with the daily roughly 20% water changes.

For the tail being ruffled: Was he more active when you saw this? Mine gets a ruffled tail every night when she swims around, I heard the ruffled tail can be a sign of increased activity, and it seems to always be the case with mine. I have 2 moss balls because they're easy to take care of, and they get the job done. I also have one small java fern plant, but I like to think the moss balls gather more bb, though I am no expert

Kenneth

Reaction score
Sorry i just read the 9 cm part, I apologize lol. I mean I relate ammonia to smoke in a room, you would not want a lot of it in there, you'll always be uncomfortable with it there, but the key is to keep it low while cycling with your axie in there.

theblondie616

Reaction score
Thanx for the help guys. All sorted now. Ammonia is still a little high but I plan to get some plants tomorrow.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!