Illness/Sickness: T.Shanjing Right Leg Joint get thick, Pls Help

hoiwai65hk

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Dear All, today I check my T.Shanjing girl, I found her Right Leg Joint get thicker. I try to touch the joint, it is swell and rigid. But she is fine that she eat many and take five crickts in two days, and she movement and walk is fine.

But I still worry of her leg, can you tell me the symptom, it is serious and called Blister? and please giev adivse and the solution to recover:confused:
Thank you very much!

Attachments

• 892ju.jpg
    892ju.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 219
  • img0891lj.jpg
    img0891lj.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 233
keep two in a tank 70cm x 40cm, with Sohagnum peat moss as subtrate, spray water to keep moist.

Peat moss is highly acidic and not recommended. You should remove it immediately and change your substrate to soil or coco-fibre.

Is there anything else you can tell us about how you are caring for your pet? Example: temperature, diet.

Hi Hoiwai,

Its difficult to be able to say much based on the photo. I would recommend taking her to a vet to rule out a few things including fractures, joint problems and swelling due to infection (either within the joint or the leg). There is no specific treatment that you can give without having a better idea of what the problem is. In the meantime, make sure your husbandry is all correct, particularly the temperatures. It is worth changing your current substrate as Kay has said.

Good luck!
Mark

Thank you Kay and Mark, I keep them in a very simple tank, temperture at about 18 to 24'c. Normally, each newt has 5-7 crickets per week.
Last Monday, I found she looked weak, less movement and sleep, so I isolated her in a single tank, and then gave her 5 crickets to test her still eat or not. After 2 days no cricket left, she has eaten all. I though she was ok, may lazy. But yesterday I checked her again, and found she has leg joint is swelling. Oh, bad news just check, her both elbow joints are slightly swelling too.

Kay, I will remove moss, and replaced by coco fibre. I also have it at home. Thankyou

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back