Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Baby axolotl and hurt arm

Nightteare

Reaction score
Hello, I'm certainly new here as I am with axolotls.
Recently I bought a golden albino, it's still a baby, He is about 6cm
He it is in perfect conditions and I am in love with my baby.

Two weeks after I decided to get another one, cause I have a large tank (80x40x25h) and another one could fit properly. So I bought a wild type, so cute :p

Now the problem, when she came, she had a broken arm, it was just hanging besides her tiny body (6cm as well). It never looked like it was bothering her, she swims quite well, go up to the surface to grab some air bubbles, and eats a lot! Anyways I was still worried but decided to leave it like that.

But today, when I went to see my little lotls, the broken part of her arm (from the elbow to the tips) felt off. So now I don´t know what really to do, she still seems normal, swimming and eating.

What would you suggest me to do?

And about the gill and the tail, will she regenerate them?

1st and 2nd picture are from her, the 3rd is from both of them <3

Attachments

• PA150148.jpg
    PA150148.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 2,011
  • PA150157.jpg
    PA150157.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 10,279
  • PA140152.jpg
    PA140152.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 44,736

kiathepooch

Reaction score
Cute axies!
The gill and tail should grow back eventually,it does take a while though,the arm also will but I'll let someone with more experience talk to you about what to do care/need wise,don't know much about that.

smily sam

Reaction score
It might be an idea to but her in the fridge to recover.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Sam:happy:

jinian

Reaction score
Awww, what a cutie! Don't worry at all about the arm and gill -- they'll grow back, probably in 2-4 weeks judging by my little guy. When I got Hex he was missing THREE feet and a bit of gill branch, and he now has a full complement of body parts (and is getting really big!). It's cool to watch them grow back, and Hex did fine in his regular tank, no refrigeration needed. If you start seeing fungus, definitely think about salt baths and fridging, but if not I wouldn't worry about it.

Nightteare

Reaction score
thanks, I've recently made a water change.
Then, should I fridge her? :(

Nightteare

Reaction score
Awww, what a cutie! Don't worry at all about the arm and gill -- they'll grow back, probably in 2-4 weeks judging by my little guy. When I got Hex he was missing THREE feet and a bit of gill branch, and he now has a full complement of body parts (and is getting really big!). It's cool to watch them grow back, and Hex did fine in his regular tank, no refrigeration needed. If you start seeing fungus, definitely think about salt baths and fridging, but if not I wouldn't worry about it.

That's Great! That makes me feel less worried, I hope my little girl gets a good recovery as yours! I haven't seen fungus yet so I'll be checking her those days in case of, to prepare the salt baths and the fridging process!
Thanks!

EmbryH

Reaction score
My axie was wounded when I got him (tank mate disagreements).

The thing is, his injured feet fell off before they regrew. My friend, who gave me my axie, said that if the flesh fell off but bones didn't, then the limb wouldn't regrow properly. I don't know how true that is, but I'd keep an eye on it.

FireStar

Reaction score
What cute axies you have!
All those parts should grow back. When I got my axie (adult), she was missing the end of her tail, but that's growing back nicely :eek:

I wouldn't start fridging unless you see fungi growing, but may I'm wrong

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1