Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Paddletail new setup

Black leaves

Reaction score
I am thinking to put some plastic like grass into my tank to leave some place for them to hang sometime, but... paddletail is not terrestrial at all and I am wondering if what I done will be usless for them, but they like to escape so often. I know is a hobby for them to escape but do they also like to be onland too as they like to spend time in my toilet when they escape, that is what puzzle me. Did I need to put some grass or leafs so they can hangout like frogs on the leafs cause I put 1 large bark and one side is up in the air and other side in the water. They never go on the bark to hang like my previous FB, they really like to spend time in water but they also like to escape to my toilet......... :eek:... Do i need that grass for them??? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

AngieD

Reaction score
Not sure if my post went through (due to internet trouble), so here it is maybe again:
My 2 absolutely love their plastic plants, they spend many hours sitting on or in them

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Like Julia says, if they are attempting to leave the water regularly, you have a problem. That´s a very clear sign of stress although it could be caused by a number of things.

Black leaves

Reaction score
thanks guys, Angie, i put floating plastic grass and i can see they love it, they like to hang out on that grass sometime and back to their hole, i can see they love it,really glad, sorry guys, i dont have any camera right now, so no pictures..... :rofl:

kay

Reaction score
Black leaves. I think you missed Julia and Rodrigo's point.... Paddle tail newts should not leave the water. They are one of the most fully aquatic species to have. If the plant is outside the water, and he is on it, then there is probably something wrong going on with the water quality. In your post you say "they" how many do you have, and how big is the tank?

Black leaves

Reaction score
yeah i got the point, they dont leave the water but just hanging on the grass where the water are much shallower, then the go back to the deep after couple of minutes they dont actually leave the water...;)

kay

Reaction score
My apologies then, i misunderstood- I thought the plant was out of the water and so were the newts.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The problem is that staying close to the surface is still a symtom of the underlying problem. They are obviously not comfortable in the water, something is wrong. It could be the temperature, it could be the water chemistry or perhaps even territorial problems.

Black leaves

Reaction score
ooo... so you suggest there are water parameter problems? emm... ist these guys stay on the deep water all the time? they may come to the surface or shallower water sometime don't they?

Black leaves

Reaction score
So... these are my tank, i left i bare because much easier for them to find food and to be clean.. :D

Attachments

• 25102011133.jpg
    25102011133.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 294
  • 25102011135.jpg
    25102011135.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 248
  • 25102011136.jpg
    25102011136.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 252
  • 25102011138.jpg
    25102011138.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 208
  • 25102011140.jpg
    25102011140.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 221
  • 25102011148.jpg
    25102011148.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 219

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I personally think the tank is too small to support three, potentially aggressive newts. The pleco is an unsuitable tank mate too. Pleco may tolerate cool water temperatures for a while, but they are best suited to far warmer water. They are also known to accidentally suck on the newts skin causing nasty injuries, if your newt decides to dine on the pleco, the spines will damage your newt.

Black leaves

Reaction score
yeah, im well aware of that, but this are very small pleco,if it getting bigger, i will change it to my fish tank in the future, i try to give as many hiding place for 3 of my newts as possible so they dont make contact and have their own territory, so far, nothing wrong even in feeding frenzy..:rolleyes:

JessKB

Reaction score
plecos are nasty fish. They produce a ton of waste, plus they don't really "clean" a tank as well as you could yourself. They also get really big depending on what species you have. Not to mention as Bellabelloo already said, the pleco is a tropical fish. I would get rid of it, it's going to cause more of a headache than its worth. How long have you had your tank? Is it cycled? If it's a new tank and hasn't been cycled, that fish is going to pollute the water like crazy.

Black leaves

Reaction score
ooo.. i never thought of that, these pleco i have it bout 3 weeks, this tank about 1 year so as the newts... maybe a ghost shrimp are much better cleaner but they will be a food for these newts.. :D

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I fully agree with Julia, that tank is way too small for three pachytriton, let alone three pachytriton and a pleco!! 3 adult pachytriton may need a minimum aproximate volume of 80 litres or more. Just because nothing has happened yet, it doesn´t mean it won´t, plus something is definitely happening as the newts are clearly not comfortable and trying to get away.
The pleco is not a suitable tankmate in any way, i´d really recommend getting rid of it as soon as possible.

Black leaves

Reaction score
oo.. thanks for your advice, i don't know what type of pleco you guys have in there, but as i remember, my previous pleco dosent dirty the water soo much, mabe these pleco acting different in your condition with producing many waste, in my tank, i can keep the water crystal clear bout 2 weeks with this pleco..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1