Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Are these all P. waltl?

donia

Reaction score
Rather than clog up Michael Strom's post on P. nebulosus, I thought I'd start a new thread.

Basically, I have 5 newts. Two of them were given to me and I was told they were ribbed newts. But the male of the two always looked odd. He is much smaller than the other boys (I put that down to age and him being in a small tank before coming to me), and very orange in colour. The rib that extends from the tail up the centre back of these newts is much further up his back than the others - see pictures if you don't get what I mean!

Anyway, here are a few photos of my newts. Any opinions on what species they all are?

This one shows how orange he is compared to the others:

IMG_9284.jpg

That's him again on the right. The female he came with is the fat, but small one on the left of him. The others are all males, and I believe they are related (from a rescue centre, so I can't be sure):

IMG_9287.jpg

Niels D

Reaction score
Do you have any pictures while they're in an aquarium taken from one of the sides? The watersurface makes it hard to see the shape of the head. Orange is more typical for waltl than nebulosus, so I really thing that the smaller male is a waltl. Nebulosus has bulging eyes compared to waltl. Waltl cheeks seem to be more "bulldog like". Sorry, don't know how to describe it. Waltl is more plump.

donia

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! I'll try to get a better picture of him in the tank tomorrow. I'll also have a good look at their faces and see if there are any obvious differences.

He does have huge eyes relative to his head (and the other newts).....

donia

Reaction score
Thanks for that Jay! Mine all have the rib spots, and looking at your photos with nebulosus and waltl together, it's clear what mine are - without the comparison, it can be difficult to tell sometimes! Thanks again, that's put my mind at ease.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1