Question: Changing tank.

emz

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi everyone!
Im planning on buying a larger tank very soon. I expect i will be getting a second hand one. So i was wondering what would be the easiest and best way to do the transition? As i have never changed tank before. Do i try and put everything from the old tank including the old filter for a while straight into the new one and add my axie straight away or do i have to start from scratch? I hope that makes some sense.
And if it is second hand and they havent cleaned it well what is best to clean it with to make sure its safe for my axolotl?
Thanks.

Clean with vinegar solution. And if you need something for scrubbing, add coarse salt :) I don't like to use soaps or anything.

Just add everything from your old tank into this new tank and monitor the parameters for a mini cycle.

Last edited:
Thanks! I thought i could put everything in and just keep an eye on things but i wanted to make sure before i did anything.
I forgot to say i notice a few planaria worms in my tank now and then especially on the moss ball. I always try to be a careful and vigilant cleaner but must miss a bit of mess from time to time. Anyway im assuming there is no way to avoid transfering them too?

No they are a natural occurrence. Even if you start from scratch, fresh water and and all, if its perfect for them, they will appear.

Yeah i thought that would be the case. I think i must feed him a bit much sometimes i cant resist if he wants it! ha ha he isnt too fat though. Cheers for helping me clear that up im really looking forward to being able to get another once i have a bigger tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back