Question: Is the fresh water sand good for Axolotl??

Loveaxolotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought the sand from the store, and when i test the ph, it was on the 6.8-7.0 range,

Is the pH important for Axolotl? Other three are ok: Ammonia 0.25 ppm Nitrite 0ppm and Nitrate 0ppm

But the pH i think is too high ???

Is that ok?????

Hmmm I don't know why you've got nitrate 0ppm as in a healthy tank (which is cycled) it should be ammonia 0ppm nitrite 0ppm and nitrates below 20-25ppm (this is good stuff but can't have too much of a good thing either). Im still in the process of cycling and I've got 0.25 ammonia (round that) 0 nitrite and 10/20 nitrate and I do not consider my tank cycled but then again been told that maby my tap water has some traces of ammonia (haven't got around to test it yet). I'm doing daily changes do maby you should consider doing the same for a while? Or weekly if ure not doing so already. As 0ppm nitrate is weird and 0.25 ammonia is harmful in the long run.

As for ph 7.0 is fine for axies. If I remember correctly ph 7.5 is still fine even. They can tolerate various ph's(within reason) but not ammonia obviously

Of all the tank parameters, pH is the least important. Axolotls can tolerate a wide range, from 6-8 easily.

In the color matching about the Amoonia( My tank still cycling), i am not sure about the water color in the tube after tested, because i am not sure about the color because they are just seem to be ideal.... Nitrate, it always show the 0ppm..

Do not use sand meant for marine tanks or cichlid tanks. Get sand that will not affect ph. Most labeled "freshwater sands" will not mess with ph.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back