Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Just wondered really...

Jade x

Reaction score
Well iv got 4 axies, 2 leucistic, one wild type and a sort of grey/blue colour one?
I was just wondering whether he/she would carry any good genetics or whether his/her offspring would be just be black/grey colours? I just found him/her a really nice colour, he/shes dark on the top and gradually gets to white on its belly :) I think its pretty anyway :)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The grey/blue is probably melanoid. This is a recessive gene, so if none of the others are carriers of the melanoid, then you won't get any melanoid offspring. If one IS a carrier, then you should get 50% melanoid offspring. Those melanoids could be dark if you bred the melanoid to the wildtype, or they could be white, if you bred the melanoid to the leucistics (if your melanoid is also recessive for leucism).

ZombieAxolotl

Reaction score
If you go to my page I have a picture of zombie, my blue/grey melanoid axolotl.

If you breed your wildtype to a leucistic or melanoid.. all the babies will be wildtype but carry for eiether leucistic or melanoid.

IF the wildtype carries for leucistic or melanoid a percentage of the babies will be wildtype and leucistic or melanoid.

If you breed leucistic to leucistic.. all the babies will be leucistic unless they carry for something like albino or melanoid, then you could get a combo of whites.

I've found a lot of pet breeders of axolotls breed a variety of colors together so many axolotls carry for several color genes so you could definetly come up with quite the mixed bag of babies :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1