Introducing new Axies?!

MichaelWB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

Essentially. I have two axolotls, in two tanks. In an ideal world I would have two axolotls in one tank. My tank is big enough to house two axolotls so that is not a problem.

I just have a few things I'd like to ask the caudata community.

I'm aware that small axolotls and big axolotls cannot go together, but I was wondering what kind of size differences would be safe? Adeline is about 7 inches long and Hayden is about 5 1/2- 6 inches long. They're sort of similar in length but Adeline is a bit stockier. I would say Hayden is about 2/3s of Adeline's size? Hayden isn't big enough to be eaten by Adeline, or anything but I'm not sure how she'd react. It's quite hard to compare the two because they live in different rooms. Some wisdom on that would be appreciated.

Secondly, when the big move occurs. What's the best way to introduce the two? I plan on putting Hayden's favourite plants and things in the tank to make it familiar and to give her a place to hide. I suppose you'd just put one in the opposite side to the other and hope they notice each other in their own time. Knowing my axolotls that could take weeks or months.

Yeah, so I'm not sure. It's all a bit scary.

Any advice?

At that size, they'll be fine with each other.

If you're worried, put in a mesh divider until they get to know one another, then remove it and monitor them closely for a couple of weeks.

I decided to go for it!

Putting Hayden in a bigger tank made her look very small. I didn't realise how big Adeline was! Hayden is probably a little on the small side, but she's a lot smarter than Adeline and is more switched on so I think she'll be okay?

It's been scary! They went face to face with each other and stared each other in the eyes for a few seconds before running (??) from each other. Neither of them have seen an another axoltol for a while so they weren't sure what to make of each other. They've snapped at each other a few times, but I think that's just them gauging each other, since they've also sat on top of each other with no problems as well.

Now they've gotten over the initial shock of seeing an axolotl for the first time in ages they're just doing seperate things. They probably won't see each other for another couple of days now..

What sort of things shall I look out for? This is exciting and terrifying all at the same time.

Just watch for nipping, especially at feeding time. If one's a more aggressive feeder than the other, feed the aggressive one first, then feed the shy one while the other one is distracted. Otherwise, your aggressor will get all worked up about food and could mistake a leg for a worm.

Cheers.

Feeding time this morning went smoothly, which is good. They were both at opposite ends of the tank this morning. There were no problems, they just gobbled up their earthworms and that was that.

It's certainly a lot more interesting having two axolotls in the same tank. Although neither of them really do much, at least there's two axolotls who are being boring as opposed to one!

Had a minor incident this morning where Hayden (my smaller one) was swimming around on the surface and the other axolotl swam up and snapped at her like she would a worm or my hand or something. Everyone was fine and this is probably normal axolotl behaviour? This is more about two axolotls getting use to living together than size though. I hope.

It's been fascinating watching them so far though! Been waiting months for the two to finally meet each other!

Thanks,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back