Which species to keep?

Vort

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
meatballs
Hey, I'm trying to find a new caudate species to keep. I currently own 1 A. Maculatum and 2 Dendrobates Tinctorious, that's about it for amphibians. I'd prefer an active caudate, newts aren't out of the question, but I've never kept them. I would prefer terrestrial caudates, but I really don't know where I could find one. I am rather near to Carolina Bio Supply Co. (Durham, NC) and as such I can order their salamanders, with minimal stress, now the problem with this is that I do not know what species they are, I think they may be two lined salamanders, not 100% though.

Summary, I want to keep a new caudate species, preferably fairly active and terrestrial, and serious bonus points for places to buy these animals in the triangle area, NC.

Merci beaucoup.

Update: I've found Eurycea cirrigera for sale at multiple online locations. I'm most probably going with this unless I can find any other plethodontids/members of the Eurycea genus.
General plethodontid tips would be helpful, and if someone feels the need to move the thread, then feel free.

You'll probably be fairly disappointed in these wild-caught species as they'll most likely be shy and spend a lot of time hiding.

I'd recommend a species of captive-bred newt, instead. They will be much more active during the day and interactive with you, especially at feeding time.

Thats the kind of answer I was expecting, I understand why you say this, but I've heard that plethodontids are actually fairly active, and since they are difficult to breed, are mostly WC, but if you have plethodontid experience, then please, by all means educate me about these awesome salamanders.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back