Bumps/pimples on adult jefferson

Marr

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had this salamander since last December, when it arrived in walmart hidden in a plant shipment from Canada. it's always seemed in good health until about a week ago when i noticed bumps on it's underbelly and tale.
I had been keeping it on coconut fiber substrate, which i cleaned about twice a week and changed completely every 1.5 to 2 months, a deep water dish which i cleaned and refilled whenever the watter started to look a litle dirty, and moss (not sure exactly what kind).
After reading online about possible infections, i moved it to a clean tank with wet paper towels as substrate, one new wooden hideout and a new plastic watter dish. I'm changing the paper towels every day and watter every three days.

I wanted to take my salamander to a vet, but could only find two with experience with amphibians in my area. one was booked for a month, the other wants $180 up front to even take a look. sadly, i can't afford that.

Attachments

• PA210351.JPG
    PA210351.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 299
Hi, is there any way you could take a better picture... I find it hard to see exactly what's going on with your salamander.

Also, what temp are you keeping the tank at? If it is too, hot then these "bumps" might be due go heat stress.

Like I said, try and take a better picture so we can see exactly what the bumps look like.

here are some more pics, with and without circles around the blemishes. i'm sorry my camera is so bad at closeups.

as for temperature and humidity, I try to keep the temp below 75f and the humidity above 60% i don't have controle over the app temperature, or i'd like to keep it around 65-70f. Peek temperature was low 80s during the bad heat in texas. i had tryd to use ice packs to cool the tank with limited sucsess. could this be why my salamander is sick now?

Attachments

• sal1.JPG
    sal1.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 245
  • sal2.JPG
    sal2.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,672
  • sal3.jpg
    sal3.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 245
  • sal4.jpg
    sal4.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 308
Wow that's way too high. Yes, I do believe that's probably a big cause to your Salamander getting these bumps. How's the activity level, and is he eating?

he eats quite a lot, 2, sometimes 3 large crickets a day. and is alwase active while it's dark. sometimes during the day too, but daylight activity is mostly swimming. usually, during the day it'll be hiding someplace.

well if his activity level is good, and still eating... then its not hopeless. You really need to get him cool though. Do a search on the forum, there are numerous threads about cooling tanks. Or you can look on the caudata culture web link and there should be information on there. Im not sure what other people do, but i know that our summer got pretty warm... so i used a air conditioner in my room. It costed me a couple hundred, but its worth it. If you cannot keeo a steady, low temp in your room, then it is not healthy to your pet. Other than that keep a very close eye on these bumps, make sure they don't spread, get larger, or start looking like sores.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back