Question: How many cubes of bloodworm?

EEVEE84

Reaction score
Country
England
My lotl is about 10-12 weeks old and eats like a pig and there's no way of satisfying his hunger:) I feed him frozen bloodworm only. Used to feed him 3 times a day and it's roughly 1 1/2 cube per day. Because my tank is cycling and my ammonia was 0.5 ppm and I was keeping it down by doing daily water changes and it still showed 0.25 (or less) I was told that I'm over feeding so now I'm feeding him twice a day (morning and evening) roughly up to a cube per day. The parameters are still ammonia thereabouts 0.25ppm, nitrite 0ppm and nitrate 10ppm

I've checked my treated tap water and it showed no ammonia so it must be that I'm over feeding still.

Thing is I can't resist him begging for food and think that he's distressed by not getting it

I don't want to over feed him as was told by the shop owner Im not doing klaus any favours if I'm gonna make him obese and it's like with dogs or humans - u just have to controll what u eat.

How much of that bloodworm should I feed him per day and should I ignore his attention and food cravings?

Also still doing water changes when is the best time to do it? I mean now I'm doing it in the afternoon but I'm thinking if he is fed at night and then swims in it and in the morning I only use turkey Baster to spot clean but then I feed him again so this kind of means he's swimming in his unchanged water from afternoon to afternoon 0_o I'm confused

Hope this makes sense

How big is he? If he is bigger than 5cm he could be put on earthworms, a much less messy choice of food that would be easier also. I started my juvi's on small earthworms cut into pieces when they were 4-7cm, now they have doubled in size and are 10-10.5cm in roughly 2 weeks!
I set them up in a 2ft tank and started them on earthworms and now they are twice the size and are looking great!
For the last 2 weeks I kept calling them 5cm .. Wasn't until yesterday I measured them.. and I was defiantly surprised!
So I'm recommending you put them on earthworms :D
Also if your having problems with your tank you might want to consider moving him to a tub until you can get it stable for him. :)

Thanks for your reply

I don't want to move him as I don't want to stress him and myself. It's not really a problem it's just nature taking its time :p. klaus is big and his tummy is round I'm not sure how big exactly but without measuring I'd say about 10cm. I did ask about earthworms but the guy in the shop said that I'm better off sticking to bloodworms as earthworms can introduce a disease into my tank, he said he's got earthworms for sale but only to feed lizards, geckos and other like that but wouldn't put it to the tank.

Blood worms are not a stable diet for axolotls, earthworms are a perfect stable diet for axolotls and provide everything an axolotls needs. They are the number one food choice for axolotls. If your guy is 10cm he is defiantly big enough for them now and should be put on them soon. :) If your pet shop sources from the wild they may have been in contact with pesticides and parasites but if they are coming from the pet shop that should not be the case and if he is selling them as food then that's all kinds of wrong.. You can start a worm farm or buy from bait shops or dig your own if you and your neighbours don't use pesticides in your gardens. They can be brought on-line and at other pet shops / aquarium shops.

Do they sell frozen earthworms? I don't really fancy having a tub of live worms in my flat :/ I wouldn't like to chop them alive either. I did that at primary school for biology classes and didn't mind and I used to play with them as a child but I guess I got more squeamish with age :p

Not sure you'd have to look into that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back