Question: Axolotl biting herself?

Soupdragon

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hey all,

Thought the two axies we have were fighting and one of them had a foot bitten off, looked like it was infected so started putting her in the fridge and giving salt baths.
Now noticed when changing her water that she was rolling slighty trying to bite her own foot?

Is this normal is she trying to bite off the damaged foot so it can regen? or did she damage herself all along?

Just so you know I'm a beginner in axolotl ownership so this is plainly not expert information! But maybe it's like when humans have a scar that's healing. It gets really itchy while the new skin is growing?

One of my larvae the other day just curled around and bit off a bit of its own tail :eek: maybe they just do that sometimes.

thats what i thought, it could just be itchy or healing,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back