Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I have done the most stupidest thing :(

scooty16

Reaction score
I am so ashamed and upset right now, I feel so guilty.

I put my axie in the fridge last night because he was constipated. This morning I took him out, and the towel and pot slipped out of my hands and I dropped him and he landed under the stool we keep out bin on. I rushed to get him and put him back in the pot with normal tap water (he needed water, and he needed it fast). When I first put him in there he struggled to move and made jittery motions with his limbs. After a while he started moving normally, the colour came back in his gills. My mum came down to look at him, and he walked over towards her and then tried to eat at her. I have put him back his tank now, and he swimming and looking up at me, and is just being what appears to be normal.

However he does have this little mark on the top of his head I've never noticed before. What should I do? Shall I keep an eye on him and just try to keep his tank to the best conditions?

I just want to say I am not a bad axie owner, I love them to pieces and this was just a freak accident which I feel absolutely awful about. Please help me, thank you :(

scooty16

Reaction score
Here is a pic of him I just took:

13ymfkj.jpg

Molch

Reaction score
My guess would be that it's just a minor injury, and if you keep his water clean he should recover fine. I don't know to what degree the brief exposure to tab water could be harmful, but if he looks fine now, then he's probably going to stay that way :)

Don't feel bad. Poop happens to everyone. Just a couple weeks ago I dropped one of my cory catfish behind the kitchen counter. He jumped out of the net when I tried to move him to another tank. Took me a whole 2 or 3 minutes or so to retrieve him - had to rake him from behind the counter with the pancake turner . He was marinaded in a layer of dust. He looked like a chicken McNugget. Rinsed him off and put him in tank. He looked a bit dazed for a moment but then he was just fine.

Last edited:

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
The small exposure to tap water shouldn't have any effect on him.

Like Claudia said, the main thing is to keep the axolotl's water cold and in good condition to prevent infection.

zoezakella

Reaction score
Nicky dont stress accidents happen and we know how much you love your axies!!!

As the others have said I am sure he will be fine, keep an eye on him and I am sure he will be back to his normal self in no time x :D

Niels D

Reaction score
I've lost a little noto larva while refreshing the water. I thought there were none left in the little tank, but I could see one little bugger disappearing the drain of the sink... :( Everyone makes mistakes and even a little one can have big consequences. I think your axie will be just fine though.

iChris

Reaction score
I've had a axie jump out of a tank before and he was fine.

you got to him fast and I'm sure yours will be fine too, it's normal to get worried, all axie owners do!

iSuzie

Reaction score
Oh how horrible. I'm sorry this happen to you, I have had a horrible accident happen too once not long ago in fact. My 2 year old daughter got in to a tank of mine and caught 2 axies one in each hand! she was playing with them like dolls on the carpet when I found her! I was washing sand in the bathroom at the time it happen when my 5 year old son run in and told me she had the fishies {as he calls them} My heart sank and I ran out to find them one in each hand, I ran them to the tank and cried for a few minutes before they were fridged for a few days {to re cover} they were a bit red and bruised for a week but were perfectly fine a week or so later. Now every single tank in my house has a baby proof locked out system on the glass! I never thought she could get the glass off or even catch one! Let alone 2! Without me hearing a thing! All the noise from washing the sand covered her splashing in the water... I felt horrible for days, cried every time I saw them, the guilt from not having locks before hand got to me for a while, but now they are fine and I learnt the lesson the hard way.
But I also learnt that things do go wrong, no one can be blamed and surprising axolotls are a lot tougher than we think!

Molch

Reaction score
wow Suzie, what an epic.

I imagine no predator any axolotl ever encountered in the wild would be as terrifying as a two-year old Homo sapiens. Heck, I am afraid of those things...:eek::happy:

Last edited:

yellowpebble

Reaction score
i have put my babies in tap water for a few minutes accidently, and they were fine. It must take a few hours of exposure to have any effect. I hope your axie is ok

scooty16

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Thank you for all your kind words and replies! He is doing okay at the moment, apart from the fact he got floaty bum AGAIN, so now he his being fridged again until he passes something. :(

I'm wondering if it's because maybe the worms are too big for him? Even though they are tiny worms! Maybe I should start cutting them in half again.

And Suzie that story is amazing! I'm glad your axies are okay, and you shouldn't of felt guilty, you didn't hear your 2 year old so you wasn't to know! :happy:

I prefer axies when they are adults, they scare me less in terms of behaviour and illness :lol: my adult has never given me any trouble!

Mandy6

Reaction score
Don't worry, Just keep his water clean and cool and he will be fine.

I too dropped Alex once. Not long after I got him I was moving him to his bigger tank, and I didn't have anything to carry him in (or I wasn't thinking about looking for anything) and I picked him up and he jumped from my hand and rolled around on the floor. I was freaking out and crying. His fin got torn up and he was quite jumpy for a while but he healed up nicely and is doing great.

I felt terrible because I hadn't done enough research and shouldn't have been handling him in the first place, and should have just found something to put him in to move him. But he all turned out fine and I learned a lesson =p

I've also accidentally put him in tap water, as well as my betta and goldfish (I don't know what was wrong with me that day, I did water changes and didn't add dechlorinator! It didn't hit me until later that night when I quickly added it to all my tanks) They were all fine and didn't seem bothered at all. I think it takes a while for it to affect them

aeviette

Reaction score
Don't feel bad, it happens and I'm sure he'll be fine :) I dropped one of my babies during a water change a while ago- I was moving them between tupperware boxes on my bed (all the other surfaces were covered with stuff, guess who's single, yes sometimes I am a revolting human being) and one decided to go for an adventure. Luckily a 10cm drop onto my bedsheets wasn't too traumatic. I move the little ones by hand in a handful of water, I feel happier doing this as I won't catch their toes on the corner of a box or anything. They're surprisingly cooperative too.

jenniepeg

Reaction score
Oh how horrible. I'm sorry this happen to you, I have had a horrible accident happen too once not long ago in fact. My 2 year old daughter got in to a tank of mine and caught 2 axies one in each hand! she was playing with them like dolls on the carpet when I found her! I was washing sand in the bathroom at the time it happen when my 5 year old son run in and told me she had the fishies {as he calls them} My heart sank and I ran out to find them one in each hand, I ran them to the tank and cried for a few minutes before they were fridged for a few days {to re cover} they were a bit red and bruised for a week but were perfectly fine a week or so later. Now every single tank in my house has a baby proof locked out system on the glass! I never thought she could get the glass off or even catch one! Let alone 2! Without me hearing a thing! All the noise from washing the sand covered her splashing in the water... I felt horrible for days, cried every time I saw them, the guilt from not having locks before hand got to me for a while, but now they are fine and I learnt the lesson the hard way.
But I also learnt that things do go wrong, no one can be blamed and surprising axolotls are a lot tougher than we think!

my 3 year old did this a few days ago with an already sick axie :( luckly he was fine but i still felt horrible :(

just keep an eye on your axie he will probably be fine :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1