Should i resort back to BBS?

Zenna

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
~Ally<3
Alright, so my little one gueedo, Im not sure if hes too little for bloodworms yet.. hes got all 4 legs... but hes TINY... like 2 cm - 3 cm MAX.. and everytime i attempt to offer him bloodworms, He just blows them away. I use tweezers and i wiggle the worm infront of his face, but he likes.. goes for it then instead of sucking in, he blows out then swims away. Im just a bit worried because i dont know how longs its been since hes eaten, and hes very skinny and looks in poor health. should i resort back to BBS? give it a try? orrr..?

At such a small size when trying to hand feed it is most likely you are going to scare him. He has the ability to smell foods now so he shouldn't have any issues with eating bloodworm's even at his size. You could try cutting them up and adding brine shrimp as well to give him even more reasons to suck them in, then slowly add less and less brine shrimp until he takes the bloodworm's perfectly :)

haha well i know it dosnt scare him, he swims away very calmly, but yeah, alright thanks suzie :) I'll start on the BBS culture tomorrow when i get up. & i'll keep trying with just bloodworms for now.

even thought the main food my babies are eating is bloodworm, i give them bbs sometimes because they LOVE them, they just cannot resist, and they are towards the 6cm mark now. If anything will tempt him to eat i think bbs will. good luck!

Sometimes the food is just a bit too big for any sized axolotl, so try chopping it up smaller :) Like sometimes my axie cant get an earthworm in her mouth so she just spits it back out, I dont think they have tastebuds, but they certainly have favourite things!! So just the trick of 1/2 blood worm and 1/2 bbs should do the trick pefectly, and as long as they are moving, there should be no problem for her to eat them!!! lol :) Good luck!!!

no im not unfortunatly:( cant find any daphina here & i dont have a credit card so i cant order any online.

Last night I was feeding my now 10cm juvi's {that have doubled in size in 2 weeks} their normal small earthworms when I found a very very tiny earthworm. So I cut it up and tried to feed my biggest 3.5cm baby's. They didn't want it so I tried my smaller baby's who are only JUST 3cm have front legs only. They look at the pieces and.. SNAP it was gone! I cut up the rest and feed 4 baby's tiny pieces of earthworm they loved it! I couldn't believe such a small baby could eat it!! Maybe if you have earthworms you could find a tiny one? Im not sure what type of places sell worms or places are safe to dig worms where you are but if u could find a tiny worm I'm sure it would be worth a try! :D

:happy:haha yeah i guess i'll try ALL the earthworms in our garden are TINY. haha very rarely do you ever find an actual large or decent earthworm. so i guess i'll give that a try and hope for the best!

That's perfect!! If you can get him to eat pieces of earthworms that would be the best thing for him! All the nutritional goodness should get him nice a healthy in no time! {crosses my fingers for him}

hey suzie, how long could i leave bits of earthworm in there? he does realise that it dosnt have to be moving for him to eat it, i just feel better that way cuz then i can watch him eat it and be sure that hes eating, but if i cut up little peices and just put them in there how long could i leave them in for?

Well if your watching him eat, until he has eaten. Or if you need to go do something will he is eating id say 30mins to an hour.. Im not sure, I have never left earthworm bits in any tanks before.. So I'm not sure sorry

Omg i love you suzie! :3 I went out and found a perfect worm, it was JUST bigger than a bloodworm in width, and I cut it up, dropped in a few peices, and since they wiggle, he went over and ate them right up! :D I know what im going to be feeding him now <3 hes got a bit of a belly now :) since he actually ate, but yeah, im so happy. hes not a stick & he likes something thats great for him :) thank you suzie:love:

Your welcome hun! Its what they love best and the best for them so that's so great! :D:lick::D:lick:​

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back