Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How do you know if the axolotl baby is acting normal?

zronclown

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently adopted 2 baby axies (3 months old) . They have totally different personality, one is very active out going and the other one is a bit shy. I gave them 7 days to adapt to the tank water, and now they are separated in their only little space in the big tank.

For the shy one, how do I know if she/ he is acting normal? The gills are naturally forwardly curled? I always worried if the baby is stress or not.... I know normally axolotls tend to curl their gills forward and have a little hook at the tail. Is it the same case for the babies ?? She is a bit skinny too, eat less often than the sibling.

Would someone kindly tell me a bit more about stress sign of the babies?

iSuzie

Reaction score
Most baby's sit around doing nothing and some are more active than others. They defiantly do have their own personality's and you will learn them easily

Signs of stress in baby's are the same as adults. Gills turned forward and tail hooked are positive signs of stress also if your baby floats it may have an air bubble and if that happens along with zig zag swimming they are stressed from the pain of the bubble.
{I know u didn't mention any floating}

Other signs are usually just something out of the ordinary for the particular baby.
Example: If a normally shy baby becomes very active and restless
Or if a normally active baby stop all movement together.

Another sign of stress is not eating as much as usual, you mention one doesn't eat as much. What are you feeding them? How often and how much?
A few more questions are what's the temp? and is your tank cycled?

Also did you mean that your baby s has forward turned gills and a hooked tail? or you are aware of them being a sign of stress?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1