Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: New owner advice re cycling with axolotl

Lanceoltl

Reaction score
Hi all,

Due to a mixture of impatience and not-the-best advice, I'm going to be receiving my tank just a few days before my axolotl, What I didn't take into account, as I'm sure many over-eager new owners have done, was the cycling process. Reading extensively on this (excellent) site I realise it's far from the ideal, but I'll be cycling with the axolotl in tank. I think I've got the routine right, but just wanted to check this sounded like the correct routine.

*We're going to replace 20% of the tank's water daily until levels of ammonia and nitrite are consitently at 0, and then we'll do weekly water cycles.
*We're going to test the water daily for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite.
*We're going to going to clean up waste and food leftovers as soon as possible (with a turkey baster), and use a feeding bowl to minimise the mess.

The tank, incidentally, is the Interpet Fish Pod 120, which is just under 3 feet in length, and 120 litres (although we don't plan on filling it to the top to prevent potential escapes...). We're currently standing the tapwater for a few days in a clean container. The tank has a filter, and a heater. While we will eventually drop the temperature to room temp and turn off the heater, but the shop we're getting them from is keeping them at quite a high temperature (over 20 degrees C), and we are going to drop the temperature gradually in order not to shock it, We have a hiding place, large plastic "rocks" and plastic plants, and are thinking of setting up some sand in the bottom too.

While we have only ordered one axolotl, we're thinking of getting a second at some point, as we think the tank will house two no problem (?).

I realise we haven't been the most careful buyers so far by not cycling the tank (and feed quite bad about it), but does this routine and setup sound like it will be OK? Any suggestions would be gratefully received, and I'll keep everyone posted on the progress of the axolotl(s).

kiathepooch

Reaction score
All sounds good,minus the heater-I know you said the place you're getting the axolotl from is keeping them at a higher temp (stupid pet store),as long as when you go pick yours up and let the bag float to get the tank water the same temp as the bag,then slowly change bag water,your axolotl will be ok and probably thank you for having lower temp water!
I'm currently cycling with my axies in and it's going fine!long as you keep on top of testing the water,doing changes and cleaning you should be fine!

Jenste

Reaction score
When cycling there is no set amount to change - the 20% is probably not going to be enough.

You need to test your water TWICE daily - so pick up a liquid test kit - the paper strips are extremely unreliable.

When testing - if there is ANY presence of ammonia or nitrite, you need to immediately do a water change. If your test shows 0.3 - then do a 30% change minimum, if 0.5 - then do a 50% change minimum and so forth.

When changing water, always siphon from the bottom of the tank - this is where waste and left over food settle so this is the important place to remove water from.

When putting new water back in, make sure the temperature it correct and that you treat the water with a fresh water conditioner to remove chlorine (bought in any pet store). Also, pour it in gently so as not to startle the axie.

carsona246

Reaction score
I think vigilance in ammonia levels is great, but you really only need to do a waterchange if ammonia reaches over .5 ppm's. Unless your ph is through the roof high, an ammonia level of .5 ppm's is really not going to contain enough ammonia(NH3) to harm your axolotls. No point in getting burnt out on waterchanges, which will happen if you do a waterchange every single time your tank has an ammonia reading(which will be all the time if you're cycling).
I'd plan on doing 1 waterchange a day, and check the level of ammonia to tell how large of a waterchange you need to do. For instance if you have .5 ppm's one day, and you do a 20% waterchange, but the next day you have .8, you might want to go for a 30% waterchange.

Jennistophales

Reaction score
I cycled with my axolotls in the tank and I had no problems. It just moves very, very slowly because the temperature needs to stay cool for the axies.

Eventually, I got sick of daily/every other day water changes and I kept my pair in a large rubbermaid container while I jacked up the temperature and lighting in my tank. It cycled in four days, piece of cake.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1