2 ft tank

e80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Is a 2 ft tank big enough for 1 adult axolotl?

Hi,
Yes 2 foot is fine for one axolotl i have one in a 2 foot tank. But i warn you they are addictive i have had mine for about 5 months and im already looking for a 3 foot so i can get another!

Hi,
Yes 2 foot is fine for one axolotl i have one in a 2 foot tank. But i warn you they are addictive i have had mine for about 5 months and im already looking for a 3 foot so i can get another!

Thanks :) I'll probably end up wanting more than 1 as well.

Are these plants ok for them?

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Yes marimo moss balls are fine. I tend to buy plants from an aquatic store rather than ebay though as they seem to be better quality and you can see how healthy they are. Java moss and Anubias plants seem to do well in axolotl tanks too.

Yes marimo moss balls are fine. I tend to buy plants from an aquatic store rather than ebay though as they seem to be better quality and you can see how healthy they are. Java moss and Anubias plants seem to do well in axolotl tanks too.

I'll have a look in the pets at home near me :)

Would you be able to tell me what type of filter is best to use?

I use a fluval u4 filter?i think that's what it is!its an in tank filter,the ones out of the tank/canister ones seem to come highly recommended,I'd say buy the best filter you can do that if you end up getting a bigger tank you can move the filter over and it still do its job.
I might be talking rubbish it's been a long day but when I went to buy mine the guy said if I ever got a bigger tank (mines 220l) I'd need a canister filter because the one I got only does up to 230l.someone else might be able to explain better what I'm on about!

I use a sponge filter with an air pump attached, and i know it's not recommended but I have two in a 2 footer and they are perfectly happy...

I use a fluval u4 filter?i think that's what it is!its an in tank filter,the ones out of the tank/canister ones seem to come highly recommended,I'd say buy the best filter you can do that if you end up getting a bigger tank you can move the filter over and it still do its job.
I might be talking rubbish it's been a long day but when I went to buy mine the guy said if I ever got a bigger tank (mines 220l) I'd need a canister filter because the one I got only does up to 230l.someone else might be able to explain better what I'm on about!

I use a sponge filter with an air pump attached, and i know it's not recommended but I have two in a 2 footer and they are perfectly happy...

Do the sponge filters with the air pumps work well?

Yep, they keep the water clean and clear as long as you ensure you take out the poo :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back