Illness/Sickness: Red Veiny Lifeless

SoullessToaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive got an albino type axolotl who isnt looking very well all of a sudden, possible "scrap" between it and its tank mate (a smaller wild type)
She is now red and veiny, isnt moving at all which is really worrying me. ive transfered her to a smaller container and moved her to a fridge.
The worrying thing is there seems to be an open wound between her rear legs. But she isnt moving at all.
Any help or advice would be brilliant. she really doesnt look well

Keep her cool and dark, this will hopefully give her time to get over the shock. If she still looks bad tomorrow you should take her to a vet.

still no movement....
colour has drained from it...
legs and tail are still red.
im scared it has died or is dying, cos its not moving at all.

I think Bob (yes, silly name for a girl axolotl) has died
There are no signs of life at all. No movement. No gill movement. No gill colouration Mouth hanging open.
is she dead or not? she isnt floating, but she isnt moving at all. there has been no movement for hours.

Last edited:
Oh dear, have you touched her to see if she reacts? It doesn't sound good I'm afraid.

how do i know if she is dead?
or just.... not... dead...? i dunno.
im stressing

Ok, I would leave her be for tonight. I think from a lack of reaction that she has died. Look again in the morning to make sure though, just in case. This must be horrible for you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back