Raising juveniles - a few questions

Lady Rassilon

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have recently acquired two juvenile axolotls. They are now 6 or 8 weeks old I think - I don't know exactly when they hatched. They seem to have almost doubled in size in two and a half weeks that I've had them. Their limbs are all developed, and their missing limbs (from tank overcrowding in the aquarium store) are growing back well.

I am raising them in a 90 cm tank at home, and intend to transfer them to a tank in my office at work when they are old enough.

If you would be gracious enough to help, I would like advice from the community on the following:

1. At the moment they are eating a good amount of bloodworm twice a day. However, they seem to eat just a few when I put the food in, then wander away. But the food is usually all gone a few hours later, so I assume they come back for it. I am therefore having trouble telling when they are still hungry, and how much to feed them. Should it be just as much as they will eat before wandering away, or as much as disappears between the feeding times?

2. My long term plan is to house them at work, in a 75 cm long tank. This tank is currently housing some fish (but they'll be gone when the axies arrive). But this tank is staying at a constant 22-23 degrees C, due to the constant temperature control of the office (its in a hospital). Is 23 degrees going to be too hot for the axies to live in permanently, should I invest in a chiller?

3. Said 75 cm tank should be suffcient for two adults, once they reach that stage. I would very much like to obtain a third - actually a rescue. The aquarium where I obtained the two had another batch of hatchlings, a few weeks younger then mine. The shop assistant said the plan for these new hatchlings was to make them metamorphasise - which I would consider very cruel, from what I have read many won't survive this? I would like to try and resuce at least one more of these poor hatchlings before that happens - but will the 75 cm tank be too small for three, in the long run?

4. I am due to go away on the weekend, and I am wondering if 6-8 week old juveniles, currently eating twice a day, might cope without food for a short time. While I am hoping to have someone visit and feed them at least once a day, I am wondering if they are old enough to cope 48 hours with no feeding?

5. Does anyone have advice on how old they need to be before I start trying to feed them on pellets or other foods? The aquarium advised feeding them on frozen bloodworm, twice a day, for 8 weeks. The store also advised against feeding on earthworms, citing that the soil in an earthworm would upset the axolotl. I trusted their advice, until I heard their plan to make the new hatchlings metamorph. Now I am taking their advice with a grain of salt, and looking wider for advice. Any tips on feeding and raising juveniles would be appreciated.

Thanks for your attention, and thank you even more if you would provide advice.

Leah

I have recently acquired two juvenile axolotls. They are now 6 or 8 weeks old I think - I don't know exactly when they hatched. They seem to have almost doubled in size in two and a half weeks that I've had them. Their limbs are all developed, and their missing limbs (from tank overcrowding in the aquarium store) are growing back well.

I am raising them in a 90 cm tank at home, and intend to transfer them to a tank in my office at work when they are old enough.

If you would be gracious enough to help, I would like advice from the community on the following:

1. At the moment they are eating a good amount of bloodworm twice a day. However, they seem to eat just a few when I put the food in, then wander away. But the food is usually all gone a few hours later, so I assume they come back for it. I am therefore having trouble telling when they are still hungry, and how much to feed them. Should it be just as much as they will eat before wandering away, or as much as disappears between the feeding times?

2. My long term plan is to house them at work, in a 75 cm long tank. This tank is currently housing some fish (but they'll be gone when the axies arrive). But this tank is staying at a constant 22-23 degrees C, due to the constant temperature control of the office (its in a hospital). Is 23 degrees going to be too hot for the axies to live in permanently, should I invest in a chiller?

3. Said 75 cm tank should be suffcient for two adults, once they reach that stage. I would very much like to obtain a third - actually a rescue. The aquarium where I obtained the two had another batch of hatchlings, a few weeks younger then mine. The shop assistant said the plan for these new hatchlings was to make them metamorphasise - which I would consider very cruel, from what I have read many won't survive this? I would like to try and resuce at least one more of these poor hatchlings before that happens - but will the 75 cm tank be too small for three, in the long run?

4. I am due to go away on the weekend, and I am wondering if 6-8 week old juveniles, currently eating twice a day, might cope without food for a short time. While I am hoping to have someone visit and feed them at least once a day, I am wondering if they are old enough to cope 48 hours with no feeding?

5. Does anyone have advice on how old they need to be before I start trying to feed them on pellets or other foods? The aquarium advised feeding them on frozen bloodworm, twice a day, for 8 weeks. The store also advised against feeding on earthworms, citing that the soil in an earthworm would upset the axolotl. I trusted their advice, until I heard their plan to make the new hatchlings metamorph. Now I am taking their advice with a grain of salt, and looking wider for advice. Any tips on feeding and raising juveniles would be appreciated.

Thanks for your attention, and thank you even more if you would provide advice.

Leah

Hi Leah.
Firstly Welcome:happy:
The Answer to your first question is probably how much they eat in a space of time, for example 10 mins. A way to keep the blood worms in one place for the axolotls to find is to have a feeding jar in the tank to place the food in, this is a clean jar big enough for the axolotl to enter and tern around in.

About the tanks and temperature, what are the dimensions (width, length and depth/height) and volume, Imperial or U.S (please state which) and/or litres of both the 90cm and 75cm tanks.
The answer about the temperature is yes degrees C is to hot and considering how hot your winters are I advise if you can afford it to get a a chiller.

The answer to your third question is, without knowing the tanks volume and dimensions, from an estimate, No the 75cm tank is not big enough for three axolotls the 90cm may be able to fit 3 but it sounds like a tight squeeze.

Yes they should be able so survive 48 hours without food.

The shop assistant is giving you more than a grain of salt in his advise, its more like a heap!;) Earth worms are the best food for axolotls and should be fed as soon as there big enough to take chopped up pieces of worm.

May I ask what is the water quality of your axolotl's tank, what temperature it is and what substrate are they on (e.g. sand, gravel, bare bottom ext)

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Sam:happy:

Thanks for your reply Sam.
Sorry I didn't reply sooner - been a busy few weeks!

I've started a worm farm and am now sometimes feeding the axies compost earthworms, and they do love them. Still mostly feeding them bloodworms though.
They are growing so fast! They still will eat two or three times a day.

I have (still) just the two of them. I decided not to try and rescue the third, because as you said I would not have enough room for them long term. I hope the shop hasn't gone through with forcing metamorphosis - I've not been back as the shop isn't local to me.

My tank setup - at home, and in the future at work - includes a substrate (if you can call it that) of river stones. Smallest stones are about 2 cm dia., most are much larger than this. Larger rocks are formed into 3 hides and live anubias plants give them plenty of places to hide and shade from the lighting. Despite this, they seem to like to lie between the big rocks and the glass at the ends of the tank.
I'd post pictures of both the tank and the axies but I can't get a decent picture with just a phone camera.

I monitor the water quality weekly, although while the tank was cycling it was daily, for Nitrates, nitrite, ammonia, pH, kH, gH. My sister has helped me with a lot of aquarium knowledge, as she has been running a (tropical) tank for years. The water quality is fine (in my opinion) except my pH is a bit high - near 8. And I have brown algae - diatoms? - everywhere, but its not too bad. I don't want to try and do much to get rid of it in case I disrupt the water quality.

The temperature of their tank at the moment is about 20 degrees C, as we are coming into summer here it is going to get higher. I am going to try using a fan to bring it down a few degrees. I'm looking out for a reasonably priced second hand chiller. If anyone knows of a chiller for sale secondhand around Melbourne, Australia, give me a yell.

Thanks for your help Sam.

Cheers all!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back