Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Slate tile bottom and sand set up.

iSuzie

Reaction score
So i have been planing for a while on how to set up a slate tile bottomed tanks, and today we have finally started one of our 4ft 200litre tanks, we have 2 that we are going to set up the same, and the first is almost done.
We are going to make some slate hides tomorrow and let them sit for 7days then soak them for a few extra days after that. For now we have PVC pie hides covered in sand. We are also going to get little pots for pur plants but for now rocks have them in place with some java moss.
This is it so far!!

New Axolotl Tank Set Up, Tile Bottom Tank - YouTube

{The light is for video purposes only}​

iSuzie

Reaction score
Thanks! Im thinking so too!
The hides will look natural amongst some broken up pieces of slate and rock. All not sharp of course! Just cant wait to get them done and in both tanks :D
Also thinking of making a sand background, on a piece of safe plastic that can be removable or something like that.

iSuzie

Reaction score
The shop had different sized slate pieces, and offered to cut for a little extra cost but they had a size that would work for me. Call around and find the prices and sizes they come in before u go shopping for slate, that's what I done :)

iSuzie

Reaction score
I finished making my slate hide last night, for one of the tanks, here's a few photos, its not quiet done yet, when it set fully im going to sand all the sharp edges and fix them up a bit. Im not going to keep the pipe hides in the tank after the slate hides are put in.

Attachments

• PICT0129.JPG
    PICT0129.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 473
  • PICT0131.JPG
    PICT0131.JPG
    226.5 KB · Views: 492

helobed

Reaction score
Very cool! what lucky axies you have. I do the same thing with big rocks an wood in my bigger tank

Aaran

Reaction score
Suzi, just try be careful with sharp edges, you know how rough axo's can be :)

iSuzie

Reaction score
I know lol im going to sand them all back, brake some of them off with a hammer first etc and then im going to cover it with java moss also so that they wont even touch the edges.
But first im waiting for it to fully set :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1