Think my Axolotl is Pregnant - Inbreeding Help!!

Lady Axolotl

Reaction score
Country
England
I have four axolotls, roughly a year old, two males and two females, all brothers and sisters. (I've been meaning to sell two of them on this forum, but it's just so difficult to choose, as I've raised them from eggs - plus, I don't know if it's best to keep two females, two males, or a male and a female together? :confused:)

Over the time period of last week, I noticed quite a few 'spermatophore'(?) dotted around the tank, which I removed to the best of my ability, as I don't want any inbred babies! They seem to have stopped appearing now though, but I'm just worried I may have missed a few and my females have gotten pregnant from it. The main thing I'm worried about with this is having to dispose of the eggs, if there are any to come - is this the 'done thing' when there is axolotl inbreeding, as it's bad for the species? Or is it okay to raise the eggs/give them away, despite them being inbred? :confused:

Chances are, if you found a bunch of spermatophores they were done mating long before you got there. If they lay eggs just post an ad in the "for sale" section and give them to someone who wants them. If anyone complains and doesn't want "inbred" axolotls then tell them to find a new hobby because the entire species is inbred to some extent in captivity.

I don't think inbreeding is anything to worry about in the case of axolotls. If you want to raise some, they'll be fine. A bigger concern is that a first-time female may produce smaller eggs than usual. You might want to dispose of the eggs if you don't want the hassle of distributing/raising them. There is certainly no harm in disposing of them right after they are laid; they have no nervous system so there is certainly no pain to them.

If the females haven't started to lay eggs yet separate them into a large container or another tank with plenty of fake plants. This way the eggs will be easier to manage.
A 1:3 solution of water to mentholated spirits devolves the gell that sticks the eggs to everything and will help remove the eggs for disposal.

You won't have any crazy The Hills Have Eyes babies, but if you do get eggs and sell them or the babies just make sure you let anyone who might breed them know that they come from a sibling pair. As pets they will be perfectly fine, it's only when you get repeated inbreeding that you get physical issues.

Thanks everyone, you've all been very helpful! As it doesn't seem to be much of a problem to keep the eggs and sell them, I think I'll do that when/if the time comes (I'm still not sure if my girls are pregnant yet though! They're very well-fed usually so it's difficult to tell... @_@) So glad I don't have to dispose of any eggs from them, I know you shouldn't, but I'd feel so cruel... ; _ ;

I'll keep you posted if any eggs do show up - and will be sure to list them on the forum for sale if that is the case :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back