Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FYI: Please help and rescue them

EEVEE84

Reaction score
UK BASED PEOPLE ONLY

I live in Eastbourne, East sussex, UK

I usually go to this awful shop to buy bloodworms for Klaus only but today I went to see the axie that was there for sale (it was kept on gravel under hood light and in a small tank but looked healthy). i asked the guy if he sold it and he said no but he had 3 new delivered some time ago. i went to see them and to my horror there were 3 juvenile axies (2 golden albino and one white leucistic) and they didn't look healthy at all!!! they were all together in a very small square tank, light was full on and they were on gravel. They appeared small for their age but not skinny, i'm sure one had some gravel in his tummy and was distressed swimming around.
other albino had only one leg and 3 stumps (my guess is the other two have been picking on him as he was the smallest)
they looked very sad and had small stumpy gills. the one swimming around stopped when i tapped on the glass and swam to me and i've stroked his nose through the glass and he seemed to like it and stopped swimming around. i nearly burst out in tears and left the shop very quickly.

if i could i'd buy all 3 in a heartbeat but my own tank is too small for 4 axies and i cant afford to get two more tanks and haven't got any space in the flat.

i feel so sad and helpless and if only i could do anything for those poor things

so here is my plee if there is someone on here that could buy and rescue them from this idiot of an owner
they need a good loving home and an owner that knows what he/she is doing. they will probably need to be separated and fridged and only put together when they grow bit more and recuperate.

i'm even prepared to pay half for each one of them if anyone can help please do. i just want to help and rescue them!

Jake

Reaction score
The best thing you can do is educate the pet store on proper care. By purchasing the animals you create a demand for them and they will continue to keep them in stock (if they have a constant source).

EEVEE84

Reaction score
They just can be bought without mentioning anything or the owners can be told not to stock them anymore after those 3 would be bought. I dunno I can threaten them with PDSA if I find out they still will be stocking them but those 3 need to be rescued and I know for a fact the owner is so stuck up he won't even listen to me and they haven't got conditions in the shop to provide better conditions to those axies :(

xxianxx

Reaction score
Threaten to report them to the RSPCA if they dont take action to improve the conditions also dont support the shop by using it.

ZombieAxolotl

Reaction score
I know it's hard to see mistreated animals in the store.. but just purchasing them will not solve anything... Except for just give the store profit and let them know they need to buy more axolotls to mistreat.

The store owners need to be educated on their care. Most pet stores know nothing about axie's and keep them in the wrong conditions. But most of them are willing to remedy the situation if they are brought aware of the problems.

iSuzie

Reaction score
Write a formal letter to them and provide them with a care sheet, if it is ignored them write to the local paper and have them do an article, if they wont, write a petition for them to do something in the papers get as many people that feel the same way as you do to write to the pet shop and the local paper and council or animal treatment laws places like the RSPCA or what ever you have in your area like local rescue groups.
If they wont change by choice force them to do so via the public and outraged shoppers!!
If no one go's to their shop because of the care of the animals they will be forced to do the right thing!

EEVEE84

Reaction score
I'm planning to print out some care sheets and go to them but I do feel a bit awkward...I mean should I just march in and say I don't think you know that you're killing your axies etc? How do I approach him? I mean he knows who I am and he saw me today looking at those pore creatures and I didn't say anything then just walked out suddenly :/

All well and good but they still need a good home and may not survive till he decides to change his ways or if it will happen at all

kiathepooch

Reaction score
Don't go in all guns blazing,if the store owner feels attacked,nothing will be achieved(that's if anything will happen anyway-some people are just stupid).i suggest go in in the mode of offering advice/suggestions in a "I keep axolotls and it's been suggested here's how you care for them" type thing then explain about sand and lighting,then say you managed to get hold of some care sheets for prospective owners if they'd like them....it's not guaranteed that you'd get this far,if the person isn't open to ideas,then leave it and go another route.

ZombieAxolotl

Reaction score
Definetly go with something like ... "hey, I was in here yesterday, I keep axolotls at home and am a member of a forum geared towards them. I noticed some of them look a little in distress from shipping and wanted to bring in some care sheets that might be helpful for your customers and their care in the store. It'll help them perk up so they can be more eye catching and sell better"

In the wording is really going to come the guy being able to save face. Which for a lot of places is the only way they will accept it... like "yeah, they did ship badly, this info looks good" and hopefully there are some changes next time you go in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!