Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Asellus with Shanjing

JacksonR

Banned
Reaction score
I found asellus living in a stream at a state park not far from where I live. The first group I cultured bred well...then I more or less forgot them and they died. lol

I went and got more recently and was keeping them in a plastic tub. Today I decided to move them to my shanjing aquarium. Most of the tank is land with a good water section with hornwort and driftwood with a spongefilter. The water has a nice natural brown tannin color. I'm going to see if they'll breed well in the tank, and if so use them as a source of food for future newt larvea. :happy:

ummi

Reaction score
AW: Asellus with Shanjing

in all my terrariums I put Asellus, it's not food alone, they are also " accompanying landscape preservation measures". Once a week I rasp carrots in the tank (feed the food), also apple peel...leaves are also importent,
It's nessesary to control the lots of slaters and take out the overmuch. Once I got a red american woodlouse and against expectation they chime together with the german woodlouse,
ummi

Attachments

• Bild 062 (Mittel).jpg
    Bild 062 (Mittel).jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 497
  • Bild 063 (Mittel).jpg
    Bild 063 (Mittel).jpg
    149 KB · Views: 513
  • graue und rote Asseln.JPG
    graue und rote Asseln.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 854
  • carrots.JPG
    carrots.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 447

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I think Jackson R is talking about Asellus aquaticus, the water hoglouse or water slater, rather than terrestrial woodlice.

C

Logan

Reaction score
I tried Asellus in an aquarium and they were long lived in the tank but I never saw any offspring. This could be that my newts were eating the young and ignoring the adults but who knows. I also tried Gammarus and they ate all the adults as fast as they could.
Logan

ummi

Reaction score
AW: Re: Asellus with Shanjing

sorry I have confused

with the asellus it is the same like the woodlouse, they are the waterpolice and hugely useful, also watersnails are very importent. They optimice a waterquality, even at low water volume,
ummi

Attachments

• Asellus.jpg
    Asellus.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 518
  • Asellus 2.jpg
    Asellus 2.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 496
  • DSC09241 (Mittel).JPG
    DSC09241 (Mittel).JPG
    198.4 KB · Views: 457
  • DSC09240 (Mittel).JPG
    DSC09240 (Mittel).JPG
    250.4 KB · Views: 429
  • DSC09242 (Mittel).JPG
    DSC09242 (Mittel).JPG
    182 KB · Views: 436

Jesper

Reaction score
Beautiful setups and ecosystems you have there Ummi.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
I think Jackson R is talking about Asellus aquaticus, the water hoglouse or water slater, rather than terrestrial woodlice.

C
More likely Caecidotea or Lirceus sp., of which there are many narrowly distributed species in North America. As noted though, they are "shredders" and generally fill a niche breaking down larger chunks of dead leaves in flowing water. In the west, they are replaced in part by Calasellus, Asellus, and the subterranean Salmasellus. The latter is the only native isopod here, and I have yet to locate any.

Most of the best-known terrestrial isopods in North America, however, are European species. South of glaciation, there are a fair number of native endemics, but the introduced species are the only ones further north, where they are widespread, well-known, and often abundant.

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Fair enough; I was thinking of UK species! Either way, it is aquatic isopods, not terrestrial ones, that we are talking about.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1