Help, strange behaviour and no idea why!

HelloKitty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my usually lazy and shy Aristotle has been swimming lengths along the bottom of the tank all day. Back and forth back and forth. I can't see any reason why. My other Axolotl Albie has a confused look on his face and looks like he is thinking "WTF?" as she swims past him. He is just sitting back chilling and looks happy and healthy.

Aristotle looks normal, gills aren't forward, cloaca looks normal, her skin looks fine, she isn't swollen and her tail isn't curled. But she wont stop swimming up and down up and down.

The parameters are perfect, amonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10, ph 7.6, temp is 19c, water flow is fine, I have 2 pf1 filters, one at each end.They were fed last night. They like brine shrimp, blood worm and I have been giving them glass worm as well for a change. Could it have upset her tum? They have had it before and nothing happened. The bottom of the tank is clean, there isn't too much light, nothing has changed in the tank. They haven't been fighting, I have no ideas! I can't see any indications of parasites or anything. Her poop looked normal, there are no marks on her skin.

Yet she still goes up and down up and down. Albie has finally moved now. He is sitting on the bridge still looking a bit puzzled!

Any ideas please?

Maybe she just wanted to go for a swim. Keep an eye on the parameters just in case tho

Possibly getting restless coming up to the breeding season. Maybe she doesn't like your male and is looking for another mate?

Regards Neil

The amount of time they spend together and sitting on top of each other I think they do love each other. She has calmed down now, maybe it was just a phase? Maybe she got spooked by something. I was really worried about her but she seems fine again. I am going to give them some beef heart today as a treat!

Mine usually get restless when they're hungry. a good feed should calm them down.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back