Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to raising my noto

Naut

Reaction score
So I went on a fishing trip the other day and found this little guy. I have a 10 gallon tank setup for him with some small gravel substrate and some hiding places for him to run around. Oh, and one small aquatic plant. It took me a few minutes to identify what type of newt it is, but it's an adult red spotted newt. I could use some suggestions to improve my tank, he seems really lonely by himself. I have a pickerel frog I caught as well and experimented keeping them together in the same tank (the tank was half terrestrial and half aquatic before) and they both just keep to their own areas. Now I moved the frog into a smaller habitat and the newt gets the 10 gallon to himself. I'm looking to buy more plants, but I'm not quite sure which to get. I was thinking about adding a few fishes, or ordering another eastern newt online. I just don't have the money for that right now. Any suggestions on what I can do?

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 207

Niels D

Reaction score
That's a good looking noto you've got there. I'm glad you decided to separate the frog from your noto. Maybe you can give your noto a little piece of land by placing a boulder or something like that in your tankt which will stick out of the water. You can use a lot of plants as long as they are suitable for cold water.

Naut

Reaction score
Since I only have one newt, I am thinking about making a trip to Petco to get a turtle dock and some more aquatic plants. I am wondering if I need a water filter for this setup, I have AquaSafe to treat the water for chlorine and chloramines, and I heard that some aquatic plants will do some filtering in the water. Is this true or should I get a filter just to be on the safe side?

Niels D

Reaction score
I don't use any filter at all, because I believe my notos get stressed if there's a current. Throw in a lot of plants and some aquatic snails to and the quality of your water will be good for several weeks if everything gets in balance.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1