Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Alpine newt setup?)

desertiguana

Reaction score
I have been debating whether or not to setup an alpine newt tank. I would like to see some tanks so I can guess how much a setup can cost and what it should look like.

Molch

Reaction score
it can be very simple:

- a 20 ga tank for 3-4 adults (20 $ at Petco or 5 $ at garage sale)
- bare bottom, but plants (hornwort, java moss, java fern) - get from other hobbyists or a few $$ at pet store
- a sponge filter on an air pump (ca. 20 $ for both)
- a lid for the tank (10 $)
- a thermometer (2.50 $)
- a small 15 or 20 watt light (20 $) or diffuse window light (0 $)
- a piece of cork bark for an island, or some rock protruding above water

Molch

Reaction score
oh not at all - it's just that bare bottom is the simplest to set up.

I am converting the tank of my young alpines to a Walstad setup, with soil under a gravel/sand layer and densely planted.

Others may prefer a thin layer of sand.

If you use a substrate, don't make it too thick, esp. if you don't have many plants rooted in it. That can create pockets of anaerobic decay which could foul up your water. I'd do no more than an inch of gravel/sand.

some people would advise against gravel because of a potential risk the newts might swallow a piece, but I don't believe alpine newts are known to be gravel gulpers like some other species.

modestum

Reaction score
I have a 20 gallon long, I use a thin layer of sand on mine and a canister filter that runs through the mesh screen and duct taped any remaining opening that caused. They will climb out any opening.

I would suggest a densely planted tank. They really seem to enjoy floating hornwort! (there is a nice gentleman on the forum that sells it for cheap)

They like cool water, so make sure you have the ability to keep the tank cool <65 F

I love my alpines, i find them to be more fun than my axies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1