Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl - worm stuck!!

LaurenAndChris

Reaction score
We have an 8 month old axolotl named Pixie.

We are worried about her however as she has a defrosted bloodworm stuck in what I assume is her gill slits, even though it is underneath her chin rather than behind her gills. Everything that we have read suggests that she should have gotten free of it within around 10-15 minutes but it has been around 45 now and she seems to have stopped trying. She was going daft, swimming really quickly around but has settled now and we are not sure what to do???

I hope someone can help as it is rather scary when we can't find anything that suggests how to help her!

celticcrow77

Reaction score
If she sits still for any amount of time, any chance you could get in there with some chopsticks or a tweezer and gently tug on it? Maybe you could remove it that way. I'm not sure how else to do it, and haven't had this experience myself. Anyone with more experience have any advice?

Jennistophales

Reaction score
This has happened to my leucistic quite a few times.

I put him into a small tupperware continer so that he cant swim around much and either get it with tweezers or i try to, like, "stomp" down on the blood worm with a pencil or chopstick so that when the axolotl moves, the bloodworm is stuck underneath the chopstick and slides out.

Just be careful to not snag the gills in the process.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1