Albino with dark belly after eating, normal?

binkiesbuns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
This is going to sound dumb but is it normal for an albino axolotl to get a dark belly after eating, is this just due to their light colouring that you can see the shadow of the food inside? :eek: Also is it a bad sign in juveniles for their torso not to be as wide as their head? I,m feeding him twice a day as I'm worried he might be a little skinnyany info appreciated!

I'm unsure of his exact age by the way as I bought him from a store but hes approx 13 cm from nose to tail!

You're probably seeing the content of his stomach as you figured out yourself. ;)

I don't think it's a problem if your axies head is wider than his body, but you can allways post some pictures to be sure. What are you feeding him?

Hi,
I tried uploading a pic but it won't let me put any up from my PC, just web pages :/ He's on frozen brine shrimp mainly, put a few wiggly pieces (about 2 cm) in twice daily and also a little pinch of Tetra Prima granules (what I got to feed him at the store I bought him from) Do you think this is enough? :confused:

He's not too skinny, so I wouldn't worry about that. He's looking just fine. Try feeding him earthworms. If you ask me that's the best food you can give your axie. You can kick some variation in his diet of course. Check axolotl.org and this forum for all the food options.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back