Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Urgen Water question

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
Urgent*

I'm just about to head out to buy my first Axolotl tank/set-up. I plan to get my Axolotls in a week.

I was thinking about maybe buying some water at the pet store to start out with(Distilled?) and after that when I cycle I'll probably just go back to tap water. I just want to make sure my baby axolotls survive.

Any thoughts about this?

Is it recommended to just stick with tap water, is Distilled/pet store water worse or better for them?

Thanks!

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
If the tap water in your area is o.k. for tropical fish once dechlorinated it will be fine for axolotls. If you use distilled or r.o. water for axolotls you need to re-mineralize it. Both r.o. and distilled water have no minerals in them. That is bad for fish and salamanders.

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
So to be safe, think I should just stick with tap water? It's going to be sitting in an empty tank/ with filter for a week before I introduce new axolotls to it. Should I even bother buying Dechlornizing chemicals If I wait that long?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I would use dechlorinator. Most of the dechlorinators break down chlorine and chloramine. Chlorine dissipates naturally but chloramine does not. To jump start your tank it is best to use the dechlorinator.

EEVEE84

Reaction score
I agree with Michael, dechlorinator is a must! What about your water changes? Your tank won't cycle on its own without ammonia source and most definitely not within a week. I think it's best for you to do some more reaserch before getting the lotls (at least the time u spending on waiting for them will go faster ;)).

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
Well, I did get about 10 Rosy minnows for my 20 gallon tank today. Hopefully that'll help with the cycling.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1