Health check - opinions much appreciated

sillymoogle7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! This post is just to generally ask opinions as to whether my axies look fit and healthy. I've been a very paranoid axie parent right from the start, particularly about their weight, so I'd appreciate your advice! My leucistic, Xenophon, has had a brief spell in the fridge for what I thought was impaction but he didn't pass anything really. Do you think his cloaca looks swollen? They both started eating less about a month and a half ago but still manage a worm or two every couple of days which, from my cruising of caudata, seems to be about average. I do apologise for the poor quality of the photos, I'm a truly terrible photographer! Thank you, as ever, for your time x

Attachments

• S7002260.jpg
    S7002260.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 218
  • S7002263.jpg
    S7002263.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 270
  • S7002267.jpg
    S7002267.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 190
  • S7002278.jpg
    S7002278.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 208
  • S7002275.jpg
    S7002275.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 222
  • S7002270.jpg
    S7002270.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 213
He looks completely healthy to me. Two chunky, happy lotls! :D As long as their weight stays up and their gills continue looking like that, I wouldn't worry.

Hi
They look nice and plump :) on the first picture it does look a bit swollen but isn't it because it's a boy so that means having a bulge down there or am i looking at the wrong place? Apart from that I'd say they look pretty healthy but then again I'm just a newbie with 2 month old klaus :) my bet is if they eat ok and behave ok then they are ok. Maybe they just don't need food that often as they used to? I'd be worried if they'd suddenly stop eating and losing weight but they look quite rounded and like you said they eat so I wouldn't worry too much and just keep an eye on them

Sorry if it's no help for u maybe somebody will be able to see what I can't
All the best for you and your cuties :)

Thanks guys, really appreciate you taking the time!
I think Xenie's bum has been a bit bigger than it should. Before he went in the fridge he definitely looked constipated, poor thing. But I have witnessed him having a large poo since and he's chowing down enthusiastically. Also gave him a couple of gentle massages and I couldn't feel any blockages. Maybe he's just 'well endowed' as axolotl's go!

I remember my male's rear end looking constipated just before we ended up with a batch of eggs, so if he's in with a female, maybe that could be a reason, if it seems larger than normal? I wouldn't say he looks unhealthy there, though I'm no expert, LoL!
I would say he looks a little on the chubby side, since his head's about the same width as his stomach, but not in a bad way - a happy, well-fed way, rather than health damaging ;) Let's face it, just as with people, each axie has a different shape, appetite + metabolism too. It took me a fair while to work out what sex my male was, as he's always had a rounder shape (especially compared with my golden female) + if I didn't have proof he was male, from above they'd probably be thought of as the opposite sexes :D

i dont think its swollen, he's just extra manly :D

I'm with Pebble. He's fine. The both look in good shape so well done you're doing a great job!

There are other signs that go along with constipation and if he's not showing an of them I wouldn't worry about his cloaca.

Constipated axies back half will usually be more buoyant and float which his is not they also will hold their hind legs up and back along their body (not just when swimming when it's normal for them to do so) when it's a problem and he's not doing that either so I wouldn't worry about it.

It's worth noting that some axies' tails/bottoms begin to float a little when they are about to poop but the issue resolves itself once they have so don't panic if you see it, give them a little more time, and hour is usually plenty, and come back and check them again before you start to worry.

There's a pic of a constipated axie at the top of this page Photos of Sick Axolotls

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back