Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Plastic Box Question

wargar

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently purchased a stack of plastic/rubber maid boxes to house my juvinile FBN's. I have noticed that they don't seem to be able to climb the sides unlike their previous glass tank. The question is can they climb, or is there something in the plastic that stops them getting a grip?
Thanks

Dave

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the plastic slightly rough? Mine learnt quickly how to scale most things ..at the moment they are climbing all over tradescantia.

Molch

Reaction score
if they are happy enough where they are they also climb less. Either way, never assume they won't climb; I never leave my containers without a lid, even if I just go to the fridge to put away the worms :)

wargar

Reaction score
Is the plastic slightly rough? Mine learnt quickly how to scale most things ..at the moment they are climbing all over tradescantia.

No it's smooth and feels almost waxy. A few of them try to climb the sides but can't seem to get any grip.

Thanks for the replies.

Dave

kiathepooch

Reaction score
I switched my alpines to a big plastic tub to start the cooling process and they can't climb the sides either-compared to the tank where I always found the female either half way up the tank or sat in the lid!

Ed

Reaction score
No it's smooth and feels almost waxy. A few of them try to climb the sides but can't seem to get any grip.

Thanks for the replies.

Dave

I've noticed it as well in some recent purchases. To me it feels more oily and not waxy. I'm not sure what the cause, but it could be a side product from a change in formulation since I don't remember feeling it before a couple of years ago. I would simply soak them well before washing them as that will decrease the rish of leachage from the pasticizers used to form the plastic (like pthalates).

Ed

wargar

Reaction score
Thank you both for replying and semi confirming what I was thinking. I did wash them before using and they still had the waxy/oily feel, however after using them for a short while there is no film on the water and the newts don't seem over stressed by water quality issues.

If this proves a hit I will be buying another stack for next years breading season and probably moving the little ones out at the egg stage or just after they have hatched.

Thanks again.

Dave

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!